• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone explain why the Square Toe shoe is still being worn?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
One would think that with all the emphasis on fit on this forum that square-ended shoes would be applauded:

MyFeet.jpg

- B

bluemax

Reaction score
1. A lot of guys genuinely like the way they look, so they buy them.
2. Stores keep selling them because people are buying them.

I will admit I was enamored with square-toed shoes ever since I first saw them. To me they were modern looking and a nice departure from the boring look of round-toed shoes everywhere. I remember first joining SF and thinking all the shoes in the Shoe Pron thread were ugly as fvck "old-man" shoes. And I'm just one man, so you can bet there are millions of guys thinking the same thing.

bluemax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
One would think that with all the emphasis on fit on this forum that square-ended shoes would be applauded:

(img)

- B

I also don't buy the argument against them that people's feet aren't squared-off. As if the ends of your feet are shaped like John Lobb loafers? If they are you've got some weird fvcking feet.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Yeah, I think those type use a square-toe last, whereas the one's usually referred to here as 'square-toed' shoes are ones like in the image here, where the sides are almost parallel and I'm not sure they even use a last let alone an elegant one...

From the article: "The only places you see them now are cheap chains like Aldo."

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agavilanes
anyone post a picture of what he considers a "square toe" to be sure that everybody here are hating (or loving) the same thing?

This is what I see people wearing:

Men_s_Dress_Shoes.jpg

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
This is what I see people wearing:

Men_s_Dress_Shoes.jpg

I used to wear shoes almost as ugly as these about a year ago...
frown.gif

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The existence of square-toed shoes is to separate the plebians who don't know any better from the cultural elite who do know better. It's a way to cut the chaff during interviews, for instance.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Maybe square-toed shoes are like jackets with low armholes?

Everyone can get in them, but they fit no one. And, they look less than good.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My "favorites" are shoes from Zengara. You can spot them a mile away even in a sea of Kenneth Cole, Steve Madden and Aldo. It's amazing that these shoes made it into somewhat respectable stores. I have the utmost respect for whoever does their sales, soulless bastard that he is.
zengara-30011-black-106o.jpg
zengara-30128-black-807o.jpg
zengara-30007-brown-1206o.jpg

lightsaber

Reaction score
Yes. Square-toed shoes are for men who would rather be wearing sneakers.

There's nothing wrong with wearing square-toed shoes: it just signifies that you care absolutely nothing for style. So if that's you, that's fine, wear them.

And it's interesting, I'm in Seoul at the moment and leather shoes are split right down a generational line: all the old men (age 30 - 70) wear square-toed shoes, and all the young men who wear leather shoes are wearing classic, tapered shoes.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some pretty pointed Pal Zileri shoes. I was in a partner's office for a team meeting, and a senior manager actually stopped what he was saying when he saw my shoes and said "whoa! how do your toes fit in that pointy thing!!!"... it never occurred to anyone the shoe is actually longer. Believe it or not, lots of people just assume it's tight and painful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads