1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone explain red socks to me?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Financekid, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Financekid

Financekid Member

I never saw the Constantine movie, but my understanding is that Keanu Reeves mopes his way through it as some sort of supernatural devil-hunter (or something). Is the guy with the red socks (and red tie!) supposed to represent the devil? Is this a typically heavy handed Hollywood device to let the audience know what is going on? Has anyone seen the movie? Does this make sense?

It's possible I suppose, but I would seriously doubt it. Incidentally he's not the devil, but a half-demon. I think the whole point is that they can't put horns on him as this would seem silly and indeed heavy handed, so they rather present him as a handsome immaculately dressed character without a hair out of place and let the rest be expressed through dialogue. When they can't give him the appearance of a monster they rather give him the appearance of the varnished yuppie without a concience. The socks I think is just to enforce the appearance and feel of british upper-class.

He has two outfits and there is no red in the other one, as far as I could tell

[​IMG]

2. comrade

comrade Senior member

[​IMG]

Very insightful.
    You've blown my cover

Regards,

Dr Irwin Korey

3. Financekid

Financekid Member

The French are at it too (though Fillon's wife is English - perhaps she buys his socks)

You can "subscribe" to Gammarelli socks here: http://www.meschaussettesrouges.com/

I like the red and violet.

Oh and a little historical and political background in this curious but rather interesting blog:

http://bloggingyoungfogey.blogspot.c...cked-fops.html

Thanks for the tip, just ordered myself a nice pair of red gammarelli socks in merino. Largest they had was 11 and I'm 12, but hoping it'll fit anyways.

By the way, does anyone know if they make other colours than red, purple and black? And could anyone tell me if they make them in other lenghts? It's 16 degrees celcius below where I'm at, so some knee-highs would be nice.

4. LeonM

LeonM Senior member

Gammarelli? They do white as well, but they won't sell you those. Both the cotton and wool socks are thin. I have only seen over the calf length.

Leon

5. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

Red, purple, blue(s), teal, pink, orange. Why would one not have a selection of socks as you do a selection of ties.

I normally get comments on my socks. Some people rave on how "brave" I am while others think I am out of touch with reality(this said by a lady who thinks 4 buttoned suits are cutting edge) but socks are a great way of adding a little flash just like a good tie.

6. unjung

unjung Senior member

Red, purple, blue(s), teal, pink, orange. Why would one not have a selection of socks as you do a selection of ties. I normally get comments on my socks. Some people rave on how "brave" I am while others think I am out of touch with reality(this said by a lady who thinks 4 buttoned suits are cutting edge) but socks are a great way of adding a little flash just like a good tie.
    That's our fine city for you, where Huge Boss and D&G reign supreme. [​IMG]

7. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Good evening

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the phenomenon of red socks. I read something about them in Hackett's Mr. Classic where it was references as a british thing, but I can't remember what else he said.

They also appear in the movie Constantine worn by a character meant to have the look and feel of a young english gentleman, who speaks with an english accent and wears suits that are, or are meant to appear to be, saville row tailored. This would support the theory that it is an english thing, rather rather than the costume designer feeling mischevious.

I hope some of you can help me with this, as the search function proved futile, as did Google.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance.

Thanks, man - I have a tie just like that and I'll try my red cashmere socks with it.

8. peezie

peezie Senior member

To cut through all of this pseudo-fashionista bullshit, the prevalence
    of red socks, especially in the United Kingdom is more than likely genetic.
    It is well known that colorblindness is more common among males
    in northern and western Europe, particularly the British Isles and Normandy
    and Brittany in France. According to the latest research, the halpotype
    that is theorized to carry this trait converts the color red to gray or black
    in the vision of the carrier. In these cultures male dress, in the dominant
    classes, is very understated, even dull. On the basis of this analysis, the
    choice of red socks, for that portion of the male population in these classes
    who are colorblind, is merely an act of conformity with the paradigm of
    understated dress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

I like how somone calls something bullshit, then quotes Wikipedia.[​IMG]

9. Champagnelifestylenomoney

Champagnelifestylenomoney Senior member

The (mainly) English affectation of wearing bright red socks with a suit ( city workers; news readers etc.), may be signalling something like 'even though I have to wear this highly conformist/sober uniform for my work, I'm actually a very exciting and racy person underneath the surface & am not boring at all - as indicated by my red socks.'

This tends to raise far fewer eyebrows than the wearing of white socks with a suit in the UK ( where this indicates either an avid Blues Brothers fan or 'care in the community').

10. Smudge

Smudge Senior member

To understand the Englishman's "thing" for red socks you need to thank Adrian Mole, a 13 3/4 year old boy who once lived in Leicester, England. He kept a diary if you are interested... but its a bit "hush-hush" though.

11. Smartalox

Smartalox Senior member

I heard it was for signalling a particular flavor of gayness, when flashed under the partition stall of public restrooms.

12. weilian

weilian Senior member

I heard it was for signalling a particular flavor of gayness, when flashed under the partition stall of public restrooms.

Sounds very logical. I'll buy that.

13. I. Gentantithesis

I. Gentantithesis Senior member

ethernet thingy whatzit, Colney Hatch Spa
    MidwesternUS MountebankUS Plumage
    [​IMG]

14. PipPip

PipPip Senior member

A French colleague of mine occasionally wears long raspberry coloured socks that he claims are very special as they can only be purchased in the Vatican. I have no idea what he is talking about.

15. madaboutshirt

madaboutshirt Senior member

black and blue socks are just plain dull. love colourful socks.

16. Frog in Suit

Frog in Suit Senior member

A French colleague of mine occasionally wears long raspberry coloured socks that he claims are very special as they can only be purchased in the Vatican. I have no idea what he is talking about.

Our former PM and once a presidential candidate, M. Édouard Balladur, was much ridiculed at one time because he wears the kind of socks worn by cardinals (Gamarelli?) importing them from the Vatican. He also goes to Poole for his suits. He is probably the best-dressed of our politicians, although that does not mean much.

Frog in Suit

17. weilian

weilian Senior member

black and blue socks are just plain dull. love colourful socks.

Got any hot pink in your collection?

18. Gutman

Gutman Senior member

The (mainly) English affectation of wearing bright red socks with a suit ( city workers; news readers etc.), may be signalling something like 'even though I have to wear this highly conformist/sober uniform for my work, I'm actually a very exciting and racy person underneath the surface & am not boring at all - as indicated by my red socks.'

Exactly, apologies if links to the "red sock fop" spat have been posted before:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...politicalbooks

I wore red socks as a post-school uniform reaction, along with matching red-tie... That was when red-rimmed glasses frames were "out there and cool" (ie, the 80s). Remember those? Still, red socks can look very nice with a light brown brogue or similar, but it's too try-hard with a suit imo

19. HHD

HHD Senior member

Exactly, apologies if links to the "red sock fop" spat have been posted before:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...politicalbooks

I wore red socks as a post-school uniform reaction, along with matching red-tie... That was when red-rimmed glasses frames were "out there and cool" (ie, the 80s). Remember those? Still, red socks can look very nice with a light brown brogue or similar, but it's too try-hard with a suit imo

I didn't know Rodney Trotter was writing for the Guardian.

20. MichaelKlos

MichaelKlos New Member

I started wearing Red socks for special occasions many years ago. Shortly after my daughter was born I realized the every day was special, therefore I only wear red socks.

Many friends around the world have come to wear Red socks for their special occasions. And so it spread.