1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Can anybody else not stand the shirt/slacks/tie look

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quadcammer, Jul 19, 2011.

1. llkk52

llkk52 Member

I hadn't really thought about it until now, I don't hate it but it can definitely look a bit half way. I see it a lot here in Australia and am probably guilty of it myself.

2. acadiaspring

acadiaspring Member

Although guilty on numerous occasions of donning this look, I also feel it is "not quite right." I think that wearing a properly fitting shirt and pants help make the look a little less "cell phone salesman in the mall" (not that there's anything wrong with selling cell phones), but nevertheless, it is still incomplete in my humble opinion.
    Speaking from my personal aesthetic sense, I feel that wearing a v-neck/crewneck sweater or a cardigan helps “complete” the look; although not as fully as a blazer or suit jacket. Living in an area where the weather is sweater worthy 8 months of the year, and also being too thin to find a properly fitting blazer, I usually try to utilize that look as much as possible. When doing the whole shirt, tie and no jacket thing, I try to wear something like a blue gingham pattern shirt and a knit tie. This way, I won’t be mistaken for the IRS.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  3. Guero

Guero Senior member

FFS, the OP's point is that walking in to work sporting a tie without having bothered to complete the outfit with a sports coat or suit jacket looks, well, incomplete. Of course there are pictures of gentlemen sans jacket that look fine. I like to think that when I remove my jacket once in the office I look fine, too. That's beside the point. The point is if you've adopted a business casual style of dress, trying to step it up by adding a tie without adding a coat isn't going to get you there. Indeed, in my view, skip the tie and add the coat and you will have made an improvement.

4. Trit

Trit Senior member

Can we get some real fit pics to clarify peoples thoughts on the issue? Posting my own I gotta say I feel I look a lot better with a tie. As long as the fit is there and you rock it I think it really works for a casual look. Looking forward to others examples. And ignore the socks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

^ you simply look like you're wearing a suit, but took the jacket off.

in the office, fine...walking around on the street...not so fine

6. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I'll take pants shirt and SC over pants shirt and tie any day.

Also, Achillus, every time I see your name I think my account got hacked and someone is posting under my name :fu:

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

It is a very incomplete and perfunctory look in my opinion. I will sweat, suffer, complain and die wearing a suit before I remove my jacket.

8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

IME a heather v neck undershirt, a shower in the morning and a good stick of deodorant are all it takes to avoid the "I'm too hot" argument and I live in a climate where 90 degrees and 85% humidity is a brisk day. In the office or at lunch however (i.e. in the confines of air conditioning) it is a completely unacceptable look IMO.

While I have voiced that I cannot stand the jacket-less, billowed shirt and Jos. A. Bank tie look that we are all discussing here, I ask you gents to imagine what kind of SC/suit jacket these dudes would be wearing if they regularly have the proclivity to wearing this look. I think I'd rather see a schlubby shirt and tacky tie than a Chinese fused SC two sizes too big with sleeves to the end of the ring finger and "Alfani" sleeve tag proudly emblazoned. I think I just gave myself the chills...

9. radiation

radiation Active Member

+1

I added SCs to my wardrobe long before I added ties.

10. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

I hate this as well. If you work in an environment where people don't wear suits or sportscoats, so be it. Wear a nice shirt and trousers. But don't add a tie unless you're going to also wear a coat of some sort.

11. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

or selling cars. I hate the look too, especially if the clothes don't fit. everyone should workout and buy clothes that fit well. it doesn't have to be slim fitting either.

lautner doesn't look bad IMO, his shit fits and it doesn't hurt that he's good looking (no homo). the looks does feel unfinished though. what it needs is something like a nice lightweight wool v neck sweater.

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I can't say I agree with that.

A shower in the morning and deodorant don't make me any cooler come my walk to the subway at 6pm. That said, I'd rather be uncomfortably hot in a suit than take off the coat.

However, when I'm on the floor in my office, I take my coat off and hang it on my office door. If I go to a meeting or something I put it on, but not while seated at my desk or walking the floor.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm not a fan of the look and usually don't go without my jacket outside of my office. However, it's lunchtime, 97 degrees, and oppressively hot and humid. So for the last couple of days I've walked to lunch appointments without my jacket.

14. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

It may be a total 'affectation' but when it's REALLY hot here in Atlanta and I need to walk more than 50 feet outdoors I will bring my jacket with me but casually sling it over my briefcase or shoulder, or even across my forearm. I can then whip the jacket on the moment I reach my destination.

Perhaps I look like a fool - but if so - I'm sure someone here will tell me.:slapfight:

15. radiation

radiation Active Member

My thoughts on that are that it looks fine on him because he's like 19 or whatever, and no one expects a 19-year-old to wear a suit. Make him 45, and re-evaluate: I don't think the look will hold up. It will look like he was wearing a suit and somehow misplaced his coat.

16. bourbonbasted

I rarely have a floor to walk at work unless it's for meetings so I can't identify there. However, I will say that you are correct about being seated at your desk. I had a boss at a former internship that wore his coat at his desk. He always got up looking like he had been drug behind a car.

17. Jaggs

Jaggs Senior member

I think the look was born from a group that didn't own suits and at some point or another was forced to dress professionally or formally for a job or specific situation. They had a pair a khakis and an ill fitting shirt, strap on a tie and all of a sudden the look is 'professional'.

As mentioned before, if you are on the younger end of things, it is very different than if you were 45.

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Haha, I wear a jacket at my desk.

19. Minarchist

Minarchist Senior member

Yeah, same here. Of course, they keep it a balmy 68 degrees in this office, so it's not like I'm sweating wrinkles into the fabric, but I don't have any problems with it. Just unbutton when you sit down, and re-button when you stand back up; you should be able to do it one-handed, just like a bra strap. :D

20. bourbonbasted

I think it's safe to say you are both wearing suits with slightly nicer fabrics than my old boss. He dressed like he should be selling shoes at Jos. A. Bank.