• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can Any Land Animal Beat a Grizzly Bear in a Fight?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first thought was the rhino. Tough skin, and with one gouge of the horn, the fight would be over.

More importantly, why does this question have to be a hypothetical? Is there anyone here who wouldn't watch an animal fight card?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What the ****, people, I mentioned the Cape Buffalo and furo just ignores it because I guess he doesn't want to discuss its badassness.:fu:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here we are:
Grizzly/Polar Bear vs Tiger
If orca's had legs...

Most everything I had to say on this topic I said in that thread and so see little need to repeat myself.

Bulls could sometimes kill bears in the bull and bear fights we used to have here in California back in the old days.

Rhinos dispatched grizzlies (Eurasian brown bears--pretty much the same animal) with ease in the Roman arenas.

I am sure grizzlies had some contact with mammoths in the Pleistocene. They probably just left each other alone.

Curiously, mountain lions were reported to be able to kill the big California grizzlies according to 19th century reports, which is surprising, given the huge disparity in size.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most everything I had to say on this topic I said in that thread and so see little need to repeat myself.
Bulls could sometimes kill bears in the bull and bear fights we used to have here in California back in the old days.
Rhinos dispatched grizzlies (Eurasian brown bears--pretty much the same animal) with ease in the Roman arenas.
I am sure grizzlies had some contact with mammoths in the Pleistocene. They probably just left each other alone.
Curiously, mountain lions were reported to be able to kill the big California grizzlies according to 19th century reports, which is surprising, given the huge disparity in size.

The eurasian brown bear is not a Grizzly. It's smaller on average and less ferocious. But even still, I can see a rhino putting up a good fight against a grizzly. The horn is definitely deserving of mad respect.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What the ****, people, I mentioned the Cape Buffalo and furo just ignores it because I guess he doesn't want to discuss its badassness.:fu:

meh, see here:

Rhino dominates the cape buffalo and based on how I see the buffalo fighting, I don't see it having much of a chance against an angry grizzly. For perspective, watch the ferocity seen in this display of two grizzlies fighting one another:

and also here:

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The eurasian brown bear is not a Grizzly. It's smaller on average and less ferocious. But even still, I can see a rhino putting up a good fight against a grizzly. The horn is definitely deserving of mad respect.

Yes and no. This is true enough for Europe, today.* Some have theorized that the larger, more aggressive brown bears got themselves killed off over the centuries, while the more timid ones survived to pass on their genes. The farther east you go, the brown bears become bigger and more grizzly-like. The Ussuri brown bear is sometimes called the "black grizzly." They can reach 1,000 pounds or more. One of these bears on the island of Hokkaido raided a village on successive nights and killed several people on both raids, so they can be pretty fierce. This occurred about 1915. The brown bears of the Kamchatka Peninsula are truly enormous, being about the same size as the coastal brown bears of Alaska. Cladistic/DNA analysis indicates that the Ussuri brown bear is more closely related to the inland grizzlies of North America, while the Kamchatka brown bears are closer to the coastal browns.

Bear temperament is kind of strange. Inland grizzlies are reputed to be much more aggressive than coastal browns in Alaska even though they are essentially the same animal. Some of this may be "cultural" due to the latter's having more food resources.

More curious to me is that the Asiatic black bear (aka "moon bear") is a far more ferocious and generally nasty customer than his more benign cousin the North American black bear, even though the two are closely related.

*On reviewing this, I thought I would mention that the Barren Ground race of the North American grizzly is quite small, with many males going no heavier than 300 pounds. However, they are very ferocious. The presumably extinct Mexican grizzly was another small race of grizzlies.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

^ oh ok... :embar:
so unicorn then

also, THE LIGER! it's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

also, THE LIGER! it's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.

In real life, not a very sound or healthy animal. We have discussed these hybrids in some of the previously linked threads.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In real life, not a very sound or healthy animal. We have discussed these hybrids in some of the previously linked threads.

real life? real life has nothing on magic.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mountain lion would just pretend to be friends with the bear and then rip his throat out while he was asleep. (cats are sneeky)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Mountain lion would just pretend to be friends with the bear and then rip his throat out while he was asleep. (cats are sneeky)

sounds like a girl I once knew, except replace "throat" with "wallet"

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Claws got nothin' on dem opposable thumbs.

Also, this guy:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads