1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Can Any Land Animal Beat a Grizzly Bear in a Fight?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by furo, May 15, 2012.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

didnt realize Caimans were this weak. They are also getting killed in the water. You would think they have the advantage

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

African American Jag 1-0 Caiman
    White Jag 1-0 Caiman

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

THis is pretty cool. Again, the narration is great

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Youtube was spot on with the recs [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  4. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Caught a Blue Ringed Octopus on a school field trip.

5. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

I just watched a video of a polar bear beating the crap out of a grizzly on the National Geographic Channel. The polar bear was a bit larger, but it wasn't a big size difference.

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

My first thought was the rhino. Tough skin, and with one gouge of the horn, the fight would be over.

More importantly, why does this question have to be a hypothetical? Is there anyone here who wouldn't watch an animal fight card?

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

What the fuck, people, I mentioned the Cape Buffalo and furo just ignores it because I guess he doesn't want to discuss its badassness.:fu:

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Most everything I had to say on this topic I said in that thread and so see little need to repeat myself.

Bulls could sometimes kill bears in the bull and bear fights we used to have here in California back in the old days.

Rhinos dispatched grizzlies (Eurasian brown bears--pretty much the same animal) with ease in the Roman arenas.

I am sure grizzlies had some contact with mammoths in the Pleistocene. They probably just left each other alone.

Curiously, mountain lions were reported to be able to kill the big California grizzlies according to 19th century reports, which is surprising, given the huge disparity in size.

9. furo

furo Senior member

The eurasian brown bear is not a Grizzly. It's smaller on average and less ferocious. But even still, I can see a rhino putting up a good fight against a grizzly. The horn is definitely deserving of mad respect.

10. furo

furo Senior member

meh, see here:

Rhino dominates the cape buffalo and based on how I see the buffalo fighting, I don't see it having much of a chance against an angry grizzly. For perspective, watch the ferocity seen in this display of two grizzlies fighting one another:

and also here:

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Yes and no. This is true enough for Europe, today.* Some have theorized that the larger, more aggressive brown bears got themselves killed off over the centuries, while the more timid ones survived to pass on their genes. The farther east you go, the brown bears become bigger and more grizzly-like. The Ussuri brown bear is sometimes called the "black grizzly." They can reach 1,000 pounds or more. One of these bears on the island of Hokkaido raided a village on successive nights and killed several people on both raids, so they can be pretty fierce. This occurred about 1915. The brown bears of the Kamchatka Peninsula are truly enormous, being about the same size as the coastal brown bears of Alaska. Cladistic/DNA analysis indicates that the Ussuri brown bear is more closely related to the inland grizzlies of North America, while the Kamchatka brown bears are closer to the coastal browns.

Bear temperament is kind of strange. Inland grizzlies are reputed to be much more aggressive than coastal browns in Alaska even though they are essentially the same animal. Some of this may be "cultural" due to the latter's having more food resources.

More curious to me is that the Asiatic black bear (aka "moon bear") is a far more ferocious and generally nasty customer than his more benign cousin the North American black bear, even though the two are closely related.

*On reviewing this, I thought I would mention that the Barren Ground race of the North American grizzly is quite small, with many males going no heavier than 300 pounds. However, they are very ferocious. The presumably extinct Mexican grizzly was another small race of grizzlies.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  12. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

also, THE LIGER! it's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.

13. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

did you die?

14. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

In real life, not a very sound or healthy animal. We have discussed these hybrids in some of the previously linked threads.

15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

real life? real life has nothing on magic.

16. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Yes, but I got better.

17. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Mountain lion would just pretend to be friends with the bear and then rip his throat out while he was asleep. (cats are sneeky)

18. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

sounds like a girl I once knew, except replace "throat" with "wallet"

19. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

:crackup:

20. why

why Senior member

[​IMG]

Claws got nothin' on dem opposable thumbs.

Also, this guy:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2012