Can Any Land Animal Beat a Grizzly Bear in a Fight?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by furo, May 15, 2012.

1. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

I dunno, in my mind bulls are hamburgers or for rodeos where men ride them for fun, so I can't see them winning.

And that hippo video shatters my idea of what wildlife in Africa is like as it is portrayed for sensation. That was strange to watch.

2. furo

furo Senior member

Here's an amazing display of the Grizzly agility, as it takes down a much larger animal. Note that this appears to be a very average sized female with her cubs nearby (probably only 400-500lb Grizzly):

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Salt water Crocodiles

23'+ long 4400lb+ for top tier specimens.

Have recorded tiger kills by smaller members (think a 1/4th of that weight)

4. furo

furo Senior member

Yeah but a tiger isn't a grizzly

Someone mentioned a walrus earlier - a massive beast that can weigh up to 4400lbs. Here's a clip of one getting owned by a polar bear:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: May 15, 2012

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

furo, whats up with this thread?

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

idk, but these vids are redonk.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

this walrus didnt do shit.

wasnt there a thread from a few years ago with a similar theme? i.e. which animal can kick this animal's ass?

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

9. furo

furo Senior member

It was too busy being owned to do anything

And the grizzly is quite a bit more fierce and agile compared to the polar bear

I still think something like a large bull elephant, the rhino, and the hippo would give a massive grizzly one hell of a challenge. Those fights may end in a draw. The hippos is deadly when it can crush its opponent with its weight, or in its jaws. But, no hippo is getting a male grizzly head in those jaws... just too big. The problem the grizzly has in these fights is the thickness of the skin of the elephant, rhino, hippo.

10. bringusingoodale

Stop talking about water animals, please per your own requisites.

I think we have to sensible about this: the animal must be of at least near equal weight and agility, this is the hardest thing to accomplish. grizzly bears are very nimble for their size.

11. furo

furo Senior member

That's a silly question then since at that weight there are only a small handful of worthy opponents. I think the hippo is borderline, but in the video above you can clearly see the hippo fighting off a pride of lions, so it's definitely a valid opponent in the "land animal" category.

12. bringusingoodale

It's not silly. Just choosing a massive animal is silly if it cant be agile enough to at least avoid the grizzly, something smaller, no matter how nimble and agile wouldn't pack enough of a punch, like say a wild boar. Wild boars are fierce, but the grizzly is simply too big.

And hippos are land animals as much as water animals. Walruses are no land animals, clearly.

13. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

With hippos, it's really only during the night when the human fatalities occur; usually when one goes down to the river to draw water.

I'd say if any animal were to take down a grizzly it would be a bull elephant or possibly the rhino, though its low height could put it at a disadvantage. The elephant's hide is just too thick, the tusks too large and it's neck muscles which swing them too strong, and finally just the sheer inertia of a charging elephant would flatten a grizzly, or anything else in its path.

If a mountain gorilla could get one unrestricted blow in before getting swiped by a grizzly paw, it might have an advantage as they are just insanely strong, but it'd have to be a blow to the head or heart and a damn good one.

Being a member of the Brookfield Zoo here in Chicago, the wife and I go there pretty frequently and they've got this Great Bear Wilderness exhibit that has a grizzly there. His swimming pool goes right up to the observation glass and one day while we were there he dove right into the pool (very gracefully I might add) and landed right in front of the glass. At that range, seeing the sheer enormity of his head (it was like the size of mini-fridge) reinforced my respect for a beast like that.

Still, I give the advantage to the elephant.

14. bringusingoodale

why hasn't anyone mention polar bear?

I would guess they would be evenly matched, on paper at least.

15. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

I loved that movie when it came out:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]