• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can an ALTERATIONIST do this...?

thebachellor

Reaction score
I currently have this jacket from J.crew:

images_onFigure_96_96335_96335_BK5214_m_tif_8b870b6524501886.jpg

I like it...the sherpa lining makes it ideal for colder weather, but its light enough for milder weather. The only problem I have with it is the sherpa lined collar. Soon after I purchased this jacket, another one of similar styling came out:

fleece-deck-jacket.jpg

As you can see, this one doesn't have the sherpa collar, but it also doesn't have the sherpa lining throughout the jacket.

The collar on the first jacket is not completely sherpa, it's just sherpa lined... so the fabric of the jacket actually composes the collar (if you could view the collar flipped up from the back, you could see this), it's just that the sherpa is so thick that it weighs the collar down, thus giving that illusion.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could take this to an Alterationist or someone, and get the sherpa-lining from my jacket removed, and improve the integrity of the collar so it stands up like that in the 2nd jacket.

If this is possible, how much would this run me?

Thanks.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask a tailor/alterationist.

Though I don't know if that is possible or cost-effective.

</thread>

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebachellor
I currently have this jacket from J.crew:

images_onFigure_96_96335_96335_BK5214_m_tif_8b870b6524501886.jpg

I like it...the sherpa lining makes it ideal for colder weather, but its light enough for milder weather. The only problem I have with it is the sherpa lined collar. Soon after I purchased this jacket, another one of similar styling came out:

fleece-deck-jacket.jpg

As you can see, this one doesn't have the sherpa collar, but it also doesn't have the sherpa lining throughout the jacket.

The collar on the first jacket is not completely sherpa, it's just sherpa lined... so the fabric of the jacket actually composes the collar (if you could view the collar flipped up from the back, you could see this), it's just that the sherpa is so thick that it weighs the collar down, thus giving that illusion.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could take this to an Alterationist or someone, and get the sherpa-lining from my jacket removed, and improve the integrity of the collar so it stands up like that in the 2nd jacket.

If this is possible, how much would this run me?

Thanks.

yes it can be done. but what would you use to to replace the removed sherpa?

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
First of all. There is no such person as an Alterationist. Even my computer puts a solid red line under the word. Lets be respectful and call them what they are, Tailors. They are the guys and gals that do what we cannot. We want them to do it for less than they can buy a Big Mac, but they are are as important as your auto mechanic. They make you look and feel good about the skin you are donning.

To answer the posters question. Yes, it could be done. Pick a fabric that you want replaced with what will be removed, bring it to your tailor and have it altered. Open your wallet and pay him for making you walk out of his shop with your head high. That's All!

Gary

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads