• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can a weaver fix satin?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a tiny nick in the lapel of a new tux. Only other one in the store had a really bad scratch across one lapel and the one a size up had the little threads holding the lapel to the collar severed, and this one is unnoticeable to anyone but me (since I know it's there). Looks more like a tiny bit of pilling than anything else (even though I've not seen that on satin).

Can a weaver fix this if it gets any worse? Also, what does it cost to have new satin facings put on a tux at some point if need-be?

Or is this just something that will eventually happen to satin, given the nature of the material, and I should just forget about?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
I found a tiny nick in the lapel of a new tux. Only other one in the store had a really bad scratch across one lapel and the one a size up had the little threads holding the lapel to the collar severed, and this one is unnoticeable to anyone but me (since I know it's there). Looks more like a tiny bit of pilling than anything else (even though I've not seen that on satin).

Can a weaver fix this if it gets any worse? Also, what does it cost to have new satin facings put on a tux at some point if need-be?

Or is this just something that will eventually happen to satin, given the nature of the material, and I should just forget about?

those stitches at the collar and lapel can be replaced by a tailor in about 60 seconds.
or you can do it with a needle and black thread in about 5 minutes.
if you have ragged finger nails or heavy callused hands, touching satin may cause snags or scratches

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
those stitches at the collar and lapel can be replaced by a tailor in about 60 seconds. or you can do it with a needle and black thread in about 5 minutes. if you have ragged finger nails or heavy callused hands, touching satin may cause snags or scratches
So basically I can assume that at some point in its life, I'll have a nick or two on anything made of satin? I didn't see the nick in the store (that hard to see), and I won't have a chance to go back (driving back to LA tonight), but thinking this is one of those "just try and forget about it" situations. But, I want to make sure it's fixable should it get worse (a few tiny fibers hanging off, which I trimmed with a tiny scissors so they couldn't catch on anything).

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got home and took a pic. It's the little dark spec inside the white box. It's just under the lapel button hole, which will help gauge the size/location. This was done on my Droid camera phone, so not the best pic...

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this to see if anyone else has experience with a weaver being able to "buff" a pin dot-sized nick out of satin. Or is this the sort of thing people just live with in their tuxedo facings?

I'm also thinking about whether it makes sense to contact Zegna and see the cost of replacement facings, and if I can order them just to have on hand for a "what if" moment (like worse scratches).

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
OCD?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
OCD?
About which part, fixing a nick or locating spare facings? What can I say, when it comes to my wardrobe, think of a cross between Jack Nicholson in "As Good As It Gets" and Dustin Hoffman in "Rainman."

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 81 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 154 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 79 16.7%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 40 8.4%