Can a velvet blazer be "Semi-Formal to formal"?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chiggachu, Apr 27, 2006.

1. chiggachu

chiggachu Active Member

I'm looking into purchasing a velvet blazer to wear to a semi-formal to formal party. Black or Navy blue jacket, and I would probably add a white shirt and dark tie with suit trousers or some other dark pants. Does anyone disagree with this idea? Not dressy enough?

2. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I think it might be a bit loud, and you could certainly dress up a dark suit to be semi-formal pretty well (and for less!). With that, make sure you have a dark tie (striped or solid), white shirt with double (French) cuffs, and a white pocket square. You should also have some black Oxford or blucher shoes polished well. For added dressiness, you could add a lighter coloured or satin patterned vest.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

It would be a striking image. A step up from a suit but well below a tuxedo. Of course it would require formal trousers, shoes, shirt and bow tie.

4. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Agree with Tomasso, wear a tux and replace the jacket with black velvet. It will look fantastic.

Tom

5. chiggachu

chiggachu Active Member

Thanks guys! I'm wary of the bowtie, but I'll think about it [​IMG] Maybe I'll take some pictures of the getup and post here

6. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Go with a white ruffled formal shirt, like a pirate, unbuttoned halfway down the chest.

Badass.

7. chiggachu

chiggachu Active Member

Go with a white ruffled formal shirt, like a pirate, unbuttoned halfway down the chest.

Badass.

...says the count of monte cristo [​IMG]

8. stach

stach Senior member

If you get a black jacket you can put black velvet side stripes on a pair of black slacks and you will have a new tux outfit. Navy is harder to match.