• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a tall guy use a standard length tie?

tallgolfnut

Reaction score
Not having any luck finding ties in extra long that I like. I can find many in standard length but at 6'5" I question if I can get by with a standard length tie. If I go with a standard I think the knot would be to small due to using the narrower end of the tie to make the knot in order to get the proper length. I prefer to see the tie in person and not online or catalog. Any thoughts?

Jferg4350

Reaction score
Yea pretty much, just depends on the way you tie it. It is harder to make certain knots though without a long tie. (Im 6'4" btw and don't own one extra long tie)

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stick to a half windser or a four in hand, that's the best thing you can do with a tie that is a little too short.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tallgolfnut
Not having any luck finding ties in extra long that I like. I can find many in standard length but at 6'5" I question if I can get by with a standard length tie. If I go with a standard I think the knot would be to small due to using the narrower end of the tie to make the knot in order to get the proper length. I prefer to see the tie in person and not online or catalog. Any thoughts?

Don't give up on XLs. I've had decent luck with, among others, Sam Hober, FIHT, Andrews, Charles Alexander, Autism Speaks (check out their woven patterns-- the prints suck), and Turnbull & Asser.

Others may find succor with Brooks Brothers, Lands End, Talbott, and probably others.

You might find that bespoke is where you wind up--in that case, locate a maker who can get your pattern right AND shares your taste. Once you let that genie out of the bottle, there is Charvet, Kiton, and up. Anyway, 9 or 10 bespoke, if chosen carefully, can be much more cost-effective than 2 dozen cheaper ones that you don't totally care for.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you can use a regular length tie but the way the ties are cut will not make the overall shape and knot look as good as if you were using a long tie. There is a shape to a tie and it is not cut to have the knot so far up.

modmica

Reaction score
You could also use a regular length tie, tied in the regular spot, and blow off the rule about the tie having to reach your belt buckle. Get that classic 1940's look going with some nice high-rise pants.
smile.gif
I do this occasionally with a few suits I own that have higher than typical rise on the pants. The suits are otherwise fairly standard (i.e., not costumey or with funky styling) and it works fine.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'3" and very long-torsoed. I find that standard (57-inch ties) do fine unless one is obsessed with having the rear blade flush with the front blade, as the military requires.

I believe all Lands' End ties are offered in a 61-inch length for a small surcharge. I have never bought one of their silk ties, so I can't comment on their quality. Most of the designs look tasteful and attractive, and I have bought a couple of their wool ties, which seem very satisfactory.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by modmica
You could also use a regular length tie, tied in the regular spot, and blow off the rule about the tie having to reach your belt buckle. Get that classic 1940's look going with some nice high-rise pants.
smile.gif
I do this occasionally with a few suits I own that have higher than typical rise on the pants. The suits are otherwise fairly standard (i.e., not costumey or with funky styling) and it works fine.

same here

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 6'3" even the old 55-56 inch Sulka ties work pretty well. I do wear trousers at my waist and not at my hips, so the blade will touch the waistband. If a tie is a little shorter than that I will wear it with a double breasted suit and no one will ever notice.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 6'4 I can make a good suggestion, wear a 3 piece suit.

I like making big fat windsor knots but regular ties didn't do the trick until I hid the short tie from view due to the vest

And who gave me this satorial idea...the clowns at the circus considering they had huge knots, wore vests and then when one clown took out another clown's tie, I realized, the vest conceals it all very well

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any advantages of skinny ties over regular ones or is it just personal preference?

ferry1950

Reaction score
At 6'5 I must wear an xl tie. Most I have from Talbott, Turnbull & Asser, Rochester, ted baker, zena, four in hand etc. are at least 61-63 inches which is the minimum I need to have the two ends even at the top of the belt.
My advice is keep looking at some of these vendors and I think you will find something you like.
ghw

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Yes you can use a regular length tie but the way the ties are cut will not make the overall shape and knot look as good as if you were using a long tie. There is a shape to a tie and it is not cut to have the knot so far up.
Exactly. With bespoke ties your point is even more true as the tie is shaped with the knot in mind - one knot, not several. However, if a tall gentleman is happy with the shape of a standard 57 inch tie then all is well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads