• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can a tailor "tighten" a jacket collar?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can the collar of a jacket be altered to make it hug the neck more? If so, is this major surgery, or should any decent tailor be able to do the job?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any decent tailor can do it. Finding a decent tailor may be problematic, as most "tailors" spend their time hemming pants and don't know much about altering suits.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on the reason the collar doesn't hug your neck. Usually it's caused by the shoulder line and related to squarish shoulders and or posture issues. Can also be caused when you have a proportionally small neck circumference compared to your chest size. The root cause of the issue needs to be corrected along with the collar work. Collar and shoulder work is time consuming and has limitations due to little or no outlets in these areas.

If the shoulder line is good and it is not related to posture it could be as simple or as complex, depending on the collar construction, as shortening the collar. This will reveal the skill of the tailor for sure.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chris, can the root cause be ascertained from pictures?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had the same question for awhile as I always have collar gap in off the rack jackets. Chris, do either of these two pictures of a jacket I recently tried on give any insight into why I struggle with this issue?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Picture doesn't reveal much but my guess is the issue relates to having squarish shoulders. Jacket shoulders are too sloped and don't align with your natural shoulder line.

DHD28

Reaction score
I am having some issues with collar gap as well. Can anyone please shed some light/suggestions on why?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 48 16.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 103 34.7%
  • 8”

Votes: 89 30.0%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.4%