1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Can a tailor "tighten" a jacket collar?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Louche, Sep 18, 2013.

1. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

Can the collar of a jacket be altered to make it hug the neck more? If so, is this major surgery, or should any decent tailor be able to do the job?

2. Kai

Kai Senior member

Any decent tailor can do it. Finding a decent tailor may be problematic, as most "tailors" spend their time hemming pants and don't know much about altering suits.

3. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Depends on the reason the collar doesn't hug your neck. Usually it's caused by the shoulder line and related to squarish shoulders and or posture issues. Can also be caused when you have a proportionally small neck circumference compared to your chest size. The root cause of the issue needs to be corrected along with the collar work. Collar and shoulder work is time consuming and has limitations due to little or no outlets in these areas.

If the shoulder line is good and it is not related to posture it could be as simple or as complex, depending on the collar construction, as shortening the collar. This will reveal the skill of the tailor for sure.

4. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

Chris, can the root cause be ascertained from pictures?

5. Despos

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I have had the same question for awhile as I always have collar gap in off the rack jackets. Chris, do either of these two pictures of a jacket I recently tried on give any insight into why I struggle with this issue?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Despos

Picture doesn't reveal much but my guess is the issue relates to having squarish shoulders. Jacket shoulders are too sloped and don't align with your natural shoulder line.

8. DHD28

DHD28 Senior member

I am having some issues with collar gap as well. Can anyone please shed some light/suggestions on why?

[​IMG]