• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a tailor take out the pleats?

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I often buy clothes at a discount, so I can't be too particular with specific elements of clothing. Often, I buy suits with pleated pants, but I vastly prefer flat-front or even single pleat pants. Can a tailor take these out or is it not worth the time and trouble? Does anyone have experience with this?

pstoller

Reaction score
Back when pleats were in, I tried this in reverse with a pair of my father's old pants. It was a bad idea.
confused.gif
I'd say the same goes the other way 'round. Even shopping at discount (which I often do myself), it makes sense to hold out for what you really want, not just whatever's on sale. Slight alterations for size are fine, since you would have that done anyway with most off-the-rack clothes. But, alterations for style"”unless they're very simple"”don't make sense to me. After all, for what it costs to get it done, you could've just spent a little more in the first place.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Back when pleats were in, I tried this in reverse with a pair of my father's old pants. It was a bad idea.
I can see why this would be a bad idea (it would be tough to add the necessary fabric). But I would think that taking the pleats out would be easier. Maybe not...

Thanks for your thoughts.

pstoller

Reaction score
I can see why this would be a bad idea (it would be tough to add the necessary fabric). But I would think that taking the pleats out would be easier.

It wouldn't have even been possible had the pants not been about a 36" waist size, while my waist is 30".

Granted, it's easier to take fabric out than to put it in, but you run into the same problem either way, which is the drastic change to the balance of the garment. Once you take the pleats out, where does all the extra fabric go? Are you going to just tuck your pockets well into your side seams, or create a new seam down the center of the leg? The only way to make an operation like this end successfully is with some serious tailoring, and that doesn't come cheap. OK, it might still be cheaper than springing for a Kiton suit, but there are relatively inexpensive suits out there that feature flat-front trousers.

Maybe if you can give us an idea of your suit budget and your location, someone here could recommend suits more to your liking, and places to find them.

ulf

Reaction score
I can see why this would be a bad idea (it would be tough to add the necessary fabric). Â But I would think that taking the pleats out would be easier. Â Maybe not... Thanks for your thoughts.
When you cut trousers you place the pattern on the fabric so that the middle of the leg, where the crease would be, follows the warp of the weave. This means you'll have to take the trousers apart and re-cut the front legs. You'll have to re-do the pockets and maybe the fly as well, depending on how the pleats were placed. Also, you might not be able to get the top (waist) part of the leg right, depending on the original cut. As you loosen the pleats it's a bit like unfolding a fan in that the top edge(s) gets lowered/pushed to the side, sort of. You might have to lower the waist in order to re-cut the leg unless there's enough fabric (width/length) at the bottom of the trouser leg to move everything up a bit. So, there's a lot of work involved here. In most cases it's definitely doable but not worth the cost/work unless you feel it really makes a huge difference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads