• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a tailor increase chest size on suit slightly ?

philippeb

Reaction score
So, i have this really sweet suit i've been looking at, but it is a size 42S where i usually go for 44s or 43s (43s is usually my perfect fit).
And i was wondering if it is possible to have my tailor alter the chest size a little up ?
I know this might have been asked a lot, but the only postes i can find is refering to 2" or more where i am only looking to gain an inch.

ThomGault

Reaction score
Generally, yes, they can, but it's also messing with the essence of the suit. There's a reason why the chest size is the only number given to describe a coat---because that number, in effect, IS the suit. All the other features of a suit are based on that number. The two major areas of a suit that are difficult to alter are the chest and shoulders, which is why you should aim for a suit that fits well in those two spots.
Now that the dire warning is given, I've had good success with a tailor letting out one inch, generally by opening up the back seam. Assuming you haven't purchased the suit, you can look/feel down the middle back seam to see how much extra material is available; remember that you'll need >1" for the tailor to see it back together. Given the risk and cost involved, though, why not just wait for a suit that actually fits you without alterations?

philippeb

Reaction score
Well, looking at the question from this perspective you give, i can see why i should restrain myself a little.
I just really liked the suit.

But thanks

ThomGault

Reaction score
I understand. Its easy to get wrapped up in a nice new suit when its soooo close to being just right. Why is it not available in the next largest size? Is it a clearanced item? What store is it from?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given enough money and enough skill on the part of the tailor, almost anything is possible. But some alterations are more major than others, and/or less likely to yield excellent results. And what you're talking about is one of those alterations.

As a rule-of-thumb, it's easier to successfully make some aspect of a suit smaller, than it is to make it larger. So just as a general thing, I'd be a lot more confident making a 44S slightly smaller, than I would making a 42S slight larger.

But better still would be buying the right size in the first place.

You say a 43S is usually your perfect fit. Well, since some suit lines run larger than others, and others run a little smaller than the norm, that means in various suit lines a 42S will be your perfect fit, and in others a 44S will be your perfect fit. 42 and 44 are, of course, far more plentiful than are 43's. So look around, try suits on, and find those lines where you're a perfect 42S or 44S. And buy one of those suits.

No matter how "sweet" the 42S in question may be, a suit which doesn't need significant suit surgery in order to fit you properly is sweeter. And quite likely less expensive, when you factor in the cost of expert tailoring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads