• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a tailor fix this? (suit content)

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
So I received a suit from TaT, and it's fantastic. I wore it for the first time last week and it looked excellent, plenty of compliments in the office. It had some wrinkles from shipping that I couldn't really get out since I do not have a steamer and the iron didn't do the best job, so I took it in to get dry cleaned and pressed.

When I received it from the cleaners, something changed, and I do not know what/how. Right below the very top of the shoulder, just to the front of the top seam and next to the lapel, there's a wrinkle that now appears when I wear the jacket. It's on both sides, but most noticeably on the left, the cloth is raised just slightly and it kind of folds in such a way to look kind of like a peak. What causes this, and can it be easily fixed by a tailor? The dry cleaner of course said it's not their fault and I've always had good luck with them, but I don't care I just want my suit fixed.

I would just take it to my tailor and ask, but I've been working late for the past few days (including the weekend) so I don't want to leave work early for no reason. Thanks for the help!

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bring it back and have it steamed. NOT PRESSED.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i can try to post a picture in a moment, let me dig up the file...

and they did steam it. twice.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
pics, both are of me with my hands at my side and my girlfriend taking the pictures.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
bring it back and have it steamed. NOT PRESSED.

OMG no !!! them seams !!

tomahawk_explosion_photo.jpg

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks like the back fabrics have been shrinked slightly... probably need to consult a real tailor like jefferyd...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I've been very happy with my tailor here in NYC, Mak's on Lex between 83rd and 82nd.

Note: the suit has not been tailored in any way since opening the box.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Throw it in the washing machine, gentle cycle, cold water.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
this is not the cleaners fault. pressing hard will flatten this but it will come back. your tailor can fix its a job that needs to be done right, no skimping on this one. its the makers fault. the cloth was pushed under the collar. it must come back out.
your tailor will open the front of the armhole and also where the collar joins the coat.
the shoulder seam is opened and the front part of the seam is moved toward the armhole. the excess at the armhole is trimmed off. the armhole is closed as well as the collar. this operation is called "shifting the shoulder".
the picture shows just the front, but once the tailor opens the collar... who knows what evil lurks there. might be a whole new can of worms.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
ugh, lovely. Looks like this might be a pricey job.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good tailor should be able to take in excess fabric or let out a bit of fabric around the neck, shoulder and armscye quite easily, and it should not cost a great deal.

In the future, however, please don't have your suit dry-cleaned or pressed. It should need either of those things done to it, particularly when it is brand new. As far as I am aware (this is only something that I've been told by a couple of tailors) pressing can actually stretch the fabric of the suit and cause it to lose its original shape. Much, much better to steam it and to let it hang for a while. A well-constructed suit should - in general - hold its shape well and spring back into shape after a steaming.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'll check and see how much the damage will be later on in the evening. I am really hoping it's nothing major as Thick as Thieves has received some very nice reviews here on the forum, I can't recall any construction issues.

And in general, I rarely dryclean my suits.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
^There is a thread about this.

jefferyd, had this to say about that:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...light=steaming

Easy to say when you're a tailor and can press your own suits yourself. For all the other mortals out there, carefully steaming wrinkles out of suits and pants has been working for years before jefferyd proclaimed the Steam Inquisition and will likely be working for years after he finishes his last suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads