Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can a tailor alter the dress shirt collar stance

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jj cove, Sep 20, 2013.

1. jj cove

jj cove New Member

Hi, I have dress shirts with a 16.5" neck and 33 sleeve. The shirts were altered to fit me properly in the body, shoulder and arms. But these were mostly for past position where I could leave the top 2 unbuttoned. Now I need to wear my suit more often and I find that my main concern in the past is coming back now in regards to my collar stance.

I have a short neck and I find that the collar covers up the majority of my neck. I find that the collar reaching high up on my neck is very uncomfortable.

My question is can a tailor drop the collar down to have it rest at a lower part of my neck? My past alteration lady I went to said she was unable to do it so before I start calling other places I would like to know if my requests is doable or not. Thanks

2. touchogrey

touchogrey Well-Known Member

I'd like to know this too. I'm guessing it's a full rebuild and would be quite costly. As much as just installing a new collar.

3. Twotone

Twotone Senior member