• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a tailor alter the button stance on an OTR jacket?

ldegeneve

Reaction score
Did a search, but there doesn't seem to be much on it.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you move the button hole?

baldy[1].gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a plain fabric, you might be able to remove the button stitching, reweave the resulting hole and put in a new buttonhole. It'll be expensive if you find someone a) who's good enough to do it and b) who doesn't laugh at the idea.

arc

Reaction score
I could maybe see converting a very high stance 2 button into a 3/2 or something. Logically that should be possible.

However it'd be better to just not buy a jacket that oddly sized for your body. Generally a too high button stance will also mean a too short jacket anyway.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arc
I could maybe see converting a very high stance 2 button into a 3/2 or something. Logically that should be possible.

However it'd be better to just not buy a jacket that oddly sized for your body. Generally a too high button stance will also mean a too short jacket anyway.

Or in the case of my linen suit ... a bad tailor

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
Or in the case of my linen suit ... a bad tailor

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

It is about time you get rid of some stuff,Nii
laugh.gif

I don't understand how you wear anything but a shirt in this crazy heat anyway,I haven't worn a jacket or suit for the past two months.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
It is about time you get rid of some stuff,Nii
laugh.gif

I don't understand how you wear anything but a shirt in this crazy heat anyway,I haven't worn a jacket or suit for the past two months.

Is your AC broke?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The cottons and linens have been kind. I also lucked out by being out of town for the two hottest weeks.

Check your pm.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
How do you move the button hole?
baldy[1].gif

Instead of moving the button, how about just add another button? Sure, the added button will only be inches away from the current button, which means you'll have to add a ton of buttons to make it appear that the buttons are evenly spaced. Which means you'll end up with a 7 or 8 button suit. Not only do I think it is completely doable, I think it will be awesome. Post photos once done please.
lurker[1].gif

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
Instead of moving the button, how about just add another button? Sure, the added button will only be inches away from the current button, which means you'll have to add a ton of buttons to make it appear that the buttons are evenly spaced. Which means you'll end up with a 7 or 8 button suit. Not only do I think it is completely doable, I think it will be awesome. Post photos once done please.
lurker[1].gif

Why stop at 7 or 8? Keep going. Top to bottom, including lapels!

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
On a plain fabric, you might be able to remove the button stitching, reweave the resulting hole and put in a new buttonhole. It'll be expensive if you find someone a) who's good enough to do it and b) who doesn't laugh at the idea.

Then, press the lapel mercilessly and hope everything isn't thrown off.

exchange239

Reaction score
If the OTR jacket has non functioning then yes that is easy to do.

If it has functioning buttons you are limited to just sleeve length, which is usually done through the shoulder.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by exchange239
If the OTR jacket has non functioning then yes that is easy to do.

If it has functioning buttons you are limited to just sleeve length, which is usually done through the shoulder.

facepalm.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You could drop the whole front from the shoulder seam if there's enough cloth. However, this will lower the front balance as well as the buttoning point.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You could also just shorten the jacket from the hem. That will lower the button point a little.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You could drop the whole front from the shoulder seam if there's enough cloth. However, this will lower the front balance as well as the buttoning point.

Only if you can make the collar longer.

Lowering the button is like moving a window on your house two feet to the left.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads