Can a sweater be altered?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edeming, Apr 9, 2005.

1. edeming

edeming Member

I have some Cardigan style sweaters that are too large for me. Has anyone had a satisfactory experience with a tailor or other craftsman who altered sweater? I would appreciate any recommendations about craftspeople who could do this work.

Ted Andrews

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Moved to Clothing.

3. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

It would depend on whether the whole sweater is woven together, or if it is composed of woven pieces stiched together, I would think.  I mean, technically, it could be altered no matter what, but would you want to?

Dan

4. stache

stache Senior member

IMO this sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

5. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

You could probably put darts in a sweater cost effectively. That's about it.

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

There's a place called "Alterations & Reweaving Center" near here that (if it's possible at all) could undoubtedly do an excellent job for you. I haven't brought such a project to them, but after watching the lady there re-knit a collar onto a very fine-knit cashmere sweater under a stereo microscope, I'd have to recommend trying them. I talked to her a while and she definitely knew much more than me about the subject of alterations. Their prices aren't cheap, but if they are favorite sweaters, you might try them.

Alterations & Reweaving Center
    (206) 632-8791
    1601 N 45th St
    Seattle, WA 98103

7. acole

acole Senior member

I've had very good results with these folks. Â They're also in WA, but you can mail work to them, anything from moth holes to extensive alterations. Â They just fixed an awesome 8-ply Scottish cashmere cableknit sweater I got as an absolute steal off eBay. A broken strand had unraveled to a quarter-size hole; they reproduced the knit pattern and spliced the yarn; I can't even see where the break was.