Can a man live without plaintoe black bals for formal suit appearances?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Sep 13, 2006.

1. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

When I bought black oxfords, I chose EG cap toes with broguing over plain toes, not really giving weight to how plain toes are the more formal choice (and black shoes are formal shoes).

I noticed that the Purple Label looks all feature the Grant monkstrap, which has broguing. While I understand these are somewhat fashion forward, might my current shoes serve me well enough such that I'll never need to buy another pair of black cap toes unless I need another just for rotation purposes? (I'm a lawyer.)

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

3. Sator

Sator Senior member

When I bought black oxfords, I chose EG cap toes with broguing over plain toes, not really giving weight to how plain toes are the more formal choice (and black shoes are formal shoes).

I noticed that the Purple Label looks all feature the Grant monkstrap, which has broguing. While I understand these are somewhat fashion forward, might my current shoes serve me well enough such that I'll never need to buy another pair of black cap toes unless I need another just for rotation purposes? (I'm a lawyer.)

Yes of course you can live without a pair of plain toe Oxfords. You can wear opera pumps.

If you choose to disregard these two options, fear not once again - for everyone else will be wearing all sorts of bizarre shoewear and you will fit right in with them wearing shoes with broguing on them. [​IMG]

4. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i say opera pumps are for the fat lady that sang.
    go buy yourself a plain toe shoe with a mirror polish. preferably with a thin sole cut close to the upper.

5. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

You do understand that formal means dinner jacket and pants, a.k.a. a tuxedo?

The plaintoe is only "needed" if you're wearing the dinner jacket and pants. In a suit, the cap-toe is more appropriate. Plaintoe is fine as well.

7. Sator

Sator Senior member

i say opera pumps are for the fat lady that sang.
    go buy yourself a plain toe shoe with a mirror polish. preferably with a thin sole cut close to the upper.

I am neither lady nor fat - rather slim on the contrary (waist size 30). I can sing a little and prefer a good patent leather pump shoe [​IMG] . They originated as a court shoe and have been in a man's wardrobe continously for several centuries. As the oldest surviving item in a man's wardrobe they are a living fossil and every conservation measure must be mobilised to preserve their survival into the future.

8. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Just get a pair of black calf wholecuts. You can wear them daily for work, and they can also double up for black tie (which is not frequent).

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

what diorshoe said

10. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I'd get black demi-boots before what you're talking about.

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I assume Jose means for suit-wearing, not tux-wearing. If you've got, say, dark-brown captoes, you should be fine. But I'd be surprised if anyone thought half-brogue bals were somehow too "casual" in a legal office.

12. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Certainly one can live without plaintoe balmorals but I can't come up with a reason why one would want to not have plaintoe balmorals in their shoe closet.

13. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

I am neither lady nor fat - rather slim on the contrary (waist size 30). I can sing a little and prefer a good patent leather pump shoe [​IMG] . They originated as a court shoe and have been in a man's wardrobe continously for several centuries. As the oldest surviving item in a man's wardrobe they are a living fossil and every conservation measure must be mobilised to preserve their survival into the future.

sorry, i did not mean you are fat or a lady.

im just saying i dont like opera pumps. i would reserve them for the courts.

hardwood, basketball of course.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

As the oldest surviving item in a man's wardrobe they are a living fossil and every conservation measure must be mobilised to preserve their survival into the future.

This is one case where I have no problem with natural selection and the extinction of a species [​IMG] [​IMG]