• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can a good tailor convert a black suit into a tux?

coatandthai

Reaction score
I have a formal event coming up and I don't feel like spending a lot of money for a nice tuxedo, nor do i want to wear a cheap, ill-fitting one. I have a couple of black suits I never wear and I was wondering if a tailor can add satin to the lapels and perhaps a stripe down the side. Anyone know?

Aureus

Reaction score
I bet it would be possible, but I don't think it would be cheap enough to warrant it.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good tailor could easily do the job. But, good tailors are hard to find

bluetox

Reaction score
Getting something altered for the most part is a lot harder than most people assume. Why not just rent a tux?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Because rental tuxes are usually complete shit.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably cheaper to buy a tux on eBay.

coatandthai

Reaction score
A tux on eBay is $300 bucks for a lousy one, plus $120 for alterations -- just for the thrill of wearing a cheap suit. I'd rather pay $2-300 bucks and get my properly-fitting Corneliani black suit converted. And I prefer not to wear rental clothing.

Maybe I'll just iron the lapels with a super hot iron to bring out a nice sheen.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You could probably get some iron-on shiny strips that stick on too. Interesting idea, something to do with those black suits

Reaction score
you have a 1 button peak lapel black suit, or will it just be an any-old-thing suit you would do this on?

id say go for it if (and only if) you are prepared to write the suit off if disaster strikes.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coatandthai
A tux on eBay is $300 bucks for a lousy one, plus $120 for alterations -- just for the thrill of wearing a cheap suit. I'd rather pay $2-300 bucks and get my properly-fitting Corneliani black suit converted. And I prefer not to wear rental clothing.

That's just the run of the mill. My tux is Corneliani-level, 1B, SB peak, and was under a hundred. Is your suit a peak lapel? I'd hate to kill a SB peak suit.

Regards,
Huntsman

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is possible and expensive, as alterations go. Expect to pay at least $200, more if you want really good quality grosgrain for the facings.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The most economical way to transform your jacket would be to cover the lapels with a synthetic fabric with a silk look/finish to it. Starting just above the top button. If you remove the current lapel facing and apply this cloth the price will increase significantly. If this is done, make sure the tailor knows to put domet cloth under the facing. If you use silk that is meant to be used for tux facing, double or triple Manton's estimate. Whatever you do, start above the buttonhole, so you don't need to remake the buttonholes.

The braid for the trouser has its own issues. Front pocket style is one of them. The braid will need to be set into the waistband, the full length of the inseam opened and resewn and rehemming. Applying the braid will be a combination of machine & hand work or could be completely done by hand at a higher cost I'm sure.

Depending on your needs, a great tux is a good investment. If it is black tie, it is a special social or business event. If business you are amongst your peers and want to look your best and remain professional. No short cuts.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 272 32.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.7%
  • 31 - 40