• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a girl wear a Sterlingwear pea coat?

sunshowers

Reaction score
Hey fellas, Sorry to crash your forum, but I am so frustrated with women's fashions and trying to find a decent classic pea coat. It seems like no matter where I look the women's styles are all made of crappy high % poly blends, are THIN and not insulated at all, are cut badly, and are riddled with all sorts of "trendy" details that ruin the classic look that a peacoat should have... and for all that, they're always more expensive than the mens' coats!
angry.gif
At the mall today, I raided all the mens' and boys' sections, but all the mens' coats were too big, and the boys' coats that fit through the shoulders were too short in the arms. While looking around online I found the Sterlingwear website and noted that the men's Authentic pea coat comes in sizes as small as 30 short, which according to their size chart corresponds to a chest measurement of 28 - if this is accurate, then I'm thinking the men's coat could work for me (I'm 5'3", 105 lbs, 34-25-35, and want to be able to layer a hoody underneath). In case you're wondering why I didn't just go for the women's Authentic, I want my coat to have a militaristic feel and the A-line cut of the women's doesn't do it for me. I did a google search that returned a ton of hits from your forum, which has been such an amazing source of knowledge. You guys look amazing in your Sterlingwear coats and I'm jealous! So I've been wondering if any of your girlfriends have ever bought or tried on a men's Sterlingwear pea coat, or based on what you know, whether you think I should take a chance and order it. I'm in Canada, so I can't try it on before buying. Thanks in advance for your replies! P.S. - I have a double-breasted wool coat that measures 16" from armpit to armpit and it is very fitted, definitely no room for a hoody underneath.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This thread is useless without pictures.
wink.gif

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
This thread is useless without pictures.
wink.gif

Same thing I thought!
smile.gif

Yes, girls can wear peacoats. I love it, when they wear my shirts (and shorts), so why not a guy's peacoat? You can still make small alterations, I guess.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not trying to be facetious, a good looking girl can get away with wearing anything or nothing at all.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
not trying to be facetious, a good looking girl can get away with wearing anything or nothing at all.

Agree 100%, especially with the measurements she quoted.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sunshowers
Can a girl wear a Sterlingwear pea coat?

Yes, if you're OK with the feel/look of the mirror-imaged buttoning.

Since you're after a more militaristic cut anyway, it should be fine and not look too masculine, as long as it's reasonably fitted.

Good Luck!

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Yes, if you're OK with the feel/look of the mirror-imaged buttoning.

Since you're after a more militaristic cut anyway, it should be fine and not look too masculine, as long as it's reasonably fitted.

Good Luck!

+1 this is good advice. Outwear can be gender neutral, if the fit is right.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be sorry at all to post here; females are always welcome to post in WAYWT (especially in the streetwear section).

sunshowers

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for all your advice!! I'm gonna do it, and will try to remember to post pictures of me in it, good or bad, so other curious girls can get an idea of how it fits. Cross your fingers for me!

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
there are many women in the navy. do the regulation pea coats come in womens sizes? any one know?

sunshowers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
there are many women in the navy. do the regulation pea coats come in womens sizes? any one know?
Yes, there's a women's version of their Authentic peacoat, but as I said above I don't like the cut of it as much as the men's version.
smile.gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sunshowers
Hey fellas, Sorry to crash your forum, but I am so frustrated with women's fashions and trying to find a decent classic pea coat. It seems like no matter where I look the women's styles are all made of crappy high % poly blends, are THIN and not insulated at all, are cut badly, and are riddled with all sorts of "trendy" details that ruin the classic look that a peacoat should have... and for all that, they're always more expensive than the mens' coats!
angry.gif

Hopefully you will have already found all of those discussions saying that even the best RTW men's garments aren't as good as they claim. I would suggest if it is within your budget that you consider going bespoke. There is a long tradition of women going to men's bespoke tailors. For example Marlene Dietrich used to go to Knize in Vienna. I personally like women to wear more feminine garments myself but if you get a maker to cut the coat close to the waist with a nice hour glass figure then it can look rather flattering. Still, there are more shapely coats than the rather loosely cut pea coat to flatter the feminine figure, and you might like to consider if you love pea coats enough that you would pay bespoke prices for one. If you tell us where you are based you could probably get advice about where to go for bespoke (custom) tailoring. I would not recommend MTO as a tailor who knows how to cut for women will draft your fully personalised pattern in a totally different way for a woman's figure.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Photographs are the only way to determine this finally but won't a mans garment look inherently wrong on a woman?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads