• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a DB jacket look good as both 6X2 and 6X1 ?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

After tinkering with button placements on my DB suits, I am now veering towards the view that a 6x2 DB jacket cannot look good worn as both 6X2 and 6X1 Kent style.

Basically if it looks good as 6X2, the lower buttons is too low for it to look good worn as 6X1.

If it looks good worn as 6X1, then the upper button is too high for it to be worn as 6X2.

What are your thoughts ? Can anyone post pics of the same jacket worn both ways which they feel look good.

Best regards

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This really depends a lot on the physique of the wearer.

Doxe

Reaction score
YFYF posted some examples in WAYWRN Part I where he had a light blue DB both 6x2 and 6x1.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
In my experience, it depends more than anything else on the tightness of teh collar and how the lapels are rolled. The answer, in most cases, is "no."

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I meant to say was that this jacket would look best when worn as 6X1 and the buttoning point would be too high if worn as 6X2
rlpl1.jpg
In contrast this jacket if worn as 6X1 would look odd IMO
rlplbl1.jpg
Note: Both pics are from B&S sale thread by member elite123

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which of these 2 look better Pics from English Cut - THomas Mahon's website
cll.jpg
roll.jpg

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Which of these 2 look better Pics from English Cut - THomas Mahon's website
cll.jpg
roll.jpg

For a suit coat, the second. For an overcoat (and it does slightly look like one) the first.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cll.jpg

He needs to step his stereo/bookcase game up.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doxe
YFYF posted some examples in WAYWRN Part I where he had a light blue DB both 6x2 and 6x1.
Usually, 6x2s and 6x1s are physically constructed differently in the lapel and the collar. That image I did was a blue flannel DB that was a 6x2. Buttoning it as a 6x1 felt a bit strange. Some people do roll 6x2s into a 6x1 as a "sprezzy" sort of thing but I think they look better as 6x2s. To roll a well fitted 6x1 into a 6x2 might be difficult as the middle button might button very awkwardly.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I meant to say was that this jacket would look best when worn as 6X1 and the buttoning point would be too high if worn as 6X2
rlpl1.jpg

In contrast this jacket if worn as 6X1 would look odd IMO
rlplbl1.jpg

Note: Both pics are from B&S sale thread by member elite123

The top coat looks like a Polo. Polo has a good D/B coat model that is cut to look good either way.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
The top coat looks like a Polo. Polo has a good D/B coat model that is cut to look good either way.

As OD displays above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads