• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a DB be re-cut as a SB by a good tailor?

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt all the messing with the chest piece basically be remaking a whole new jacket?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just get another coat?

Is the DB made out of some impossibly rare material, like the skin of your ancestors?

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Why not just get another coat?

Is the DB made out of some impossibly rare material, like the skin of your ancestors?

Perhaps the interior pocket of the DB is cut to the precise dimensions of an Hermès breast wallet and the lining coordinates perfectly with the dark green pebbled calfskin of said wallet?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the Foo did this but the fronts had to be remade from scratch. I differ to him bc I don't recall the details.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree, if ti is possible it would take such skill and cost that you may as well find the cloth and have a cheaper MTM version made in SB. I know my tailor would charge about £600 to even try.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course it's do-able.

Fundamentally there is more cloth on a DB, so it's possible to change it to a SB.

Tailoring skill to do is very high, so expect very high cost.

Worth it? only you would know.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was in no way sure if it was doable, let alone cost effective, so no dice. Thanks for the responses...the more you know.

countcount

Reaction score
I discussed trying to do the opposite with a tailor.
It isn't impossible, but the bottoms of DB and SB jackets are different. DB are all 90 degrees. SB are rounded. That part of the jacket would look strange. His advice was if you are paying that much money, get a new jacket that fits.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats

Foo din't do this. Also, it is 'defer', not 'differ'.

Thanks no wonder that sentence didn't look right.
tinfoil.gif

I thought there was some talk about Mafoofan not liking the way a jacket came out and Rubi recut the front gratis. I even thought it was a DB to SB conversion or vice versa. No?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sixty or more years ago, re-cutting DB to SB used to be the daily bread of alteration tailors.

But don't forget: in those days fabric was expensive and labour was cheap. Today it's the other way "˜round.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only problem I can think of with doing this is that the collar may need need to be recut to account for the change in angle of the roll line. I can't think of any reason you would need to recut the entire front, though there may be something I'm missing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads