1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can a countertop convection oven replace a conventional oven?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by BBSLM, Feb 5, 2012.

1. BBSLM

BBSLM Distinguished Member

This is probably the opposite of fine living but I'm looking at a studio apartment rental, and I like almost everything about it except the fact that it doesn't have a conventional oven and range; just a counter-top convection oven (it looks like like a microwave) and a cook-top.

I'm not a chef, and I don't need to cook a thanksgiving dinner, but I do use my oven just about every other day. Nothing exceptional; mainly baked chicken, veggies, potatoes, or to finish off a steak.

The consensus on foodie forums is that convection ovens are good, but I can't tell if the ovens these people are using are counter-tops or full-size versions. I suspect that maybe full-size convection ovens are really good, but the counter-tops versions are glorified microwaves that destroy food.

Does it sound like I could live with a convection oven?

2. curzon

curzon Distinguished Member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

You 'Mercan? The chickens there are enormous. Guess it's all about fit. You may have to halve it. Or go with a Cornish game hen.

Convection ovens brown food, but read up on it because some pans are less effective.

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Stylish Dinosaur

There are countertop convection ovens from Asian brands that do everything - traditional oven, convection, steam oven, and microwave all in one box (these are common in fact) - but I don't know if they're in America. They start at about $200 and work their way up to about $1000, but none of them get really hot (like bread baking hot) because they're electric and small, and none can fit a roasting chicken, as was mentioned.

4. BBSLM

Sorry, not whole chickens; chicken breasts.

But yea, our 'Mericun chickens are mutants.

I'll find out the brand/model when I look at the unit today, but judging from the picture in the rental ad it looks like a standard GE or whatever consumer brand they're using these days.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

5. BBSLM