• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a 40R be made into a 38R?

lemonbishop

Reaction score
Hello,

Of course I mean, successfully, and I assume in the hands of a capable tailor. I also would not expect it to be cheap, but just how much would such a thing cost, if it is possible/advisable?

I occasionally see some great deals on 40R jackets, even accounting for some extra tailoring to bring it down to my size, so I am curious to know if this type of thing would work, or if I should just stay away.

Thanks

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Based on my own previous experiences I'd advise against this, especially if a 38 fits you well.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemonbishop
Hello,

Of course I mean, successfully, and I assume in the hands of a capable tailor. I also would not expect it to be cheap, but just how much would such a thing cost, if it is possible/advisable?

I occasionally see some great deals on 40R jackets, even accounting for some extra tailoring to bring it down to my size, so I am curious to know if this type of thing would work, or if I should just stay away.

Thanks

It can be done....without any question. The cost may and usually will outweigh any savings.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is called 'recutting' a suit -- because it is disassembled and the pattern recut before it is resown. It's not something an 'alterations tailor' can always be expected to do, you need an experienced tailor who is capable of cutting a bespoke garment from scratch, and, if you like the style of the current suit, one who understands that style and can emulate it. In such a craftsman's hands, yes, this can certainly be done, and executed extremely well.

Assume $250 for the suit coat alone, the trousers typically a little less. I recently had this done on a RLPL white dinner jacket that was a 42r (I'm a 39r), and it came out even better than it was originally, as the tailor was able to tweak it more closely to my body and taste.

~ H

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
assuming the should measurements are good it can cost you about $25. I have had a jacket done like this.

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
This is called 'recutting' a suit -- because it is disassembled and the pattern recut before it is resown. It's not something an 'alterations tailor' can always be expected to do, you need an experienced tailor who is capable of cutting a bespoke garment from scratch, and, if you like the style of the current suit, one who understands that style and can emulate it. In such a craftsman's hands, yes, this can certainly be done, and executed extremely well.

Assume $250 for the suit coat alone, the trousers typically a little less. I recently had this done on a RLPL white dinner jacket that was a 42r (I'm a 39r), and it came out even better than it was originally, as the tailor was able to tweak it more closely to my body and taste.

~ H

Originally Posted by randallr
assuming the should measurements are good it can cost you about $25. I have had a jacket done like this.

Either one of you guys are really right or really wrong....my gut tells me this kind of alteration is nowhere near $25

JTA

Reaction score
In my experience, provided the shoulders fit you well then there is not much alteration to be made (at the waist, sleeve and probably length for the jacket while waist and length for the trousers).
Shoulder and chest are expensive.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JFKJean
Either one of you guys are really right or really wrong....my gut tells me this kind of alteration is nowhere near $25
Like life, it's probably in a spectrum between -- it all depends on how much needs to be done, Maybe you're a big 38, and the suit is a small 40, in which case it might merely be an alteration, in which case, I'd believe < $50. If it goes the other way, then you'll need a recutting, in which case it won't be cheap. ~ H

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flormont Tailors on Union Square in Manhattan will take shoulders in for $70, and take the chest and waist in while the sleeves are off for another $30. So yes, it's possible, and yes, it's more than $50.

Captain.Kia

Reaction score
Not to hijack, but can a 40R be made into a 40S? (Shortening of the jacket mainly).

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, though the pockets will be closer to the end of the coat, obviously, and that may look odd.

lemonbishop

Reaction score
Thanks to all the responders. If you had had a situation where it was a pretty close fit, or the shoulders fit, it seems quite reasonable to bring the rest in line, original size numbers not being an issue.

My question is about a more major job like Huntsman has described. I was curious to know if, in the right hands, and for more than a nominal cost, it was possible to get a coat that was a full size too large to fit and look proper, or would one be almost destined to end up with a Frankenstein monster, even if one paid plenty for the work. Or, if such a thing worked, it would still not be worth doing because the cost would be too great to be worthwhile. It sounds like the situation Huntsman described exactly, and it sounds like this type of thing works fine, as long the tailor is a quality tailor and one is willing to commit to a fee in the range of $250 (not to limit it to this, but to indicate that it is clearly not in the typical minor alteration fee schedule).

This is good to know, as there are things I have passed on while thinking it may just come out all wrong, which would have been great deals, even including the extra fees for recutting.

Thanks especially to Huntsman.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemonbishop
This is good to know, as there are things I have passed on while thinking it may just come out all wrong, which would have been great deals, even including the extra fees for recutting.
My pleasure -- this is what we are here for. Your situation above is exactly the type of thing a recut is good for -- my DJ is a case in point. The tag had a retail price of $1800, which I could never touch. Somehow, I picked it up for $103, and put $240 and change into the recut. Even though the $343 is a little steep for me for a jacket, it let me get a garment I otherwise would never have had. Good tailors FTW! ~ H

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
going a full size might be pushing it, most of my larger 38's that i had trimmed down to fit me, dont fit me as well as the ones i had just bought OTR.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads