• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can a 40R be made into a 38R?

lemonbishop

Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hello,

Of course I mean, successfully, and I assume in the hands of a capable tailor. I also would not expect it to be cheap, but just how much would such a thing cost, if it is possible/advisable?

I occasionally see some great deals on 40R jackets, even accounting for some extra tailoring to bring it down to my size, so I am curious to know if this type of thing would work, or if I should just stay away.

Thanks
 

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
24,367
Reaction score
423
Based on my own previous experiences I'd advise against this, especially if a 38 fits you well.
 

jsherman02

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
999
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by lemonbishop
Hello,

Of course I mean, successfully, and I assume in the hands of a capable tailor. I also would not expect it to be cheap, but just how much would such a thing cost, if it is possible/advisable?

I occasionally see some great deals on 40R jackets, even accounting for some extra tailoring to bring it down to my size, so I am curious to know if this type of thing would work, or if I should just stay away.

Thanks


It can be done....without any question. The cost may and usually will outweigh any savings.
 

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
7,797
Reaction score
567
This is called 'recutting' a suit -- because it is disassembled and the pattern recut before it is resown. It's not something an 'alterations tailor' can always be expected to do, you need an experienced tailor who is capable of cutting a bespoke garment from scratch, and, if you like the style of the current suit, one who understands that style and can emulate it. In such a craftsman's hands, yes, this can certainly be done, and executed extremely well.

Assume $250 for the suit coat alone, the trousers typically a little less. I recently had this done on a RLPL white dinner jacket that was a 42r (I'm a 39r), and it came out even better than it was originally, as the tailor was able to tweak it more closely to my body and taste.

~ H
 

randallr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2008
Messages
4,049
Reaction score
5
assuming the should measurements are good it can cost you about $25. I have had a jacket done like this.
 

JFKJean

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
295
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Huntsman
This is called 'recutting' a suit -- because it is disassembled and the pattern recut before it is resown. It's not something an 'alterations tailor' can always be expected to do, you need an experienced tailor who is capable of cutting a bespoke garment from scratch, and, if you like the style of the current suit, one who understands that style and can emulate it. In such a craftsman's hands, yes, this can certainly be done, and executed extremely well.

Assume $250 for the suit coat alone, the trousers typically a little less. I recently had this done on a RLPL white dinner jacket that was a 42r (I'm a 39r), and it came out even better than it was originally, as the tailor was able to tweak it more closely to my body and taste.

~ H


Originally Posted by randallr
assuming the should measurements are good it can cost you about $25. I have had a jacket done like this.



Either one of you guys are really right or really wrong....my gut tells me this kind of alteration is nowhere near $25
 

JTA

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
855
Reaction score
11
In my experience, provided the shoulders fit you well then there is not much alteration to be made (at the waist, sleeve and probably length for the jacket while waist and length for the trousers).
Shoulder and chest are expensive.
 

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
7,797
Reaction score
567
Originally Posted by JFKJean
Either one of you guys are really right or really wrong....my gut tells me this kind of alteration is nowhere near $25
Like life, it's probably in a spectrum between -- it all depends on how much needs to be done, Maybe you're a big 38, and the suit is a small 40, in which case it might merely be an alteration, in which case, I'd believe < $50. If it goes the other way, then you'll need a recutting, in which case it won't be cheap. ~ H
 

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
3,992
Reaction score
15
Flormont Tailors on Union Square in Manhattan will take shoulders in for $70, and take the chest and waist in while the sleeves are off for another $30. So yes, it's possible, and yes, it's more than $50.
 

Captain.Kia

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Not to hijack, but can a 40R be made into a 40S? (Shortening of the jacket mainly).
 

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
3,992
Reaction score
15
Yes, though the pockets will be closer to the end of the coat, obviously, and that may look odd.
 

lemonbishop

Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Thanks to all the responders. If you had had a situation where it was a pretty close fit, or the shoulders fit, it seems quite reasonable to bring the rest in line, original size numbers not being an issue.

My question is about a more major job like Huntsman has described. I was curious to know if, in the right hands, and for more than a nominal cost, it was possible to get a coat that was a full size too large to fit and look proper, or would one be almost destined to end up with a Frankenstein monster, even if one paid plenty for the work. Or, if such a thing worked, it would still not be worth doing because the cost would be too great to be worthwhile. It sounds like the situation Huntsman described exactly, and it sounds like this type of thing works fine, as long the tailor is a quality tailor and one is willing to commit to a fee in the range of $250 (not to limit it to this, but to indicate that it is clearly not in the typical minor alteration fee schedule).

This is good to know, as there are things I have passed on while thinking it may just come out all wrong, which would have been great deals, even including the extra fees for recutting.



Thanks especially to Huntsman.
 

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
7,797
Reaction score
567
Originally Posted by lemonbishop
This is good to know, as there are things I have passed on while thinking it may just come out all wrong, which would have been great deals, even including the extra fees for recutting.
My pleasure -- this is what we are here for. Your situation above is exactly the type of thing a recut is good for -- my DJ is a case in point. The tag had a retail price of $1800, which I could never touch. Somehow, I picked it up for $103, and put $240 and change into the recut. Even though the $343 is a little steep for me for a jacket, it let me get a garment I otherwise would never have had. Good tailors FTW! ~ H
 

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jan 3, 2008
Messages
12,856
Reaction score
2,140
going a full size might be pushing it, most of my larger 38's that i had trimmed down to fit me, dont fit me as well as the ones i had just bought OTR.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,175
Messages
9,229,734
Members
193,748
Latest member
jhonwick330
Top