• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camping on/near the Kern River in Cali

Mblova

Reaction score
Me and about 7 other buddies are looking into tent camping in Cali. We have specifically focused on the south end of the Kern river in the middle of May. We thought about big sur but that was ruled out. We'd spend 2 nights camping and hiking around. There might be some debauchery since this is for a friends B-party.
Any recs for the area?

TheDutchman

Reaction score
I camped on Kern by Isabella during a Death Valley motorcycle trip. Pretty cool to be right by the river, but not really any recs other than floating and fishing. Hiking was pretty non-existant, so we made up for it in debauchery.

If you can swing it, I would HIGHLY recommend Big Sur over the Kern! Beautiful views of the ocean, swimming holes, hiking, Jade Cove is kind of fun, abalone diving, overall a better time in my opinion!

Let me know if you have any questions.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you stick to the main campgrounds along the highway it WILL be crowded on any weekend in summer. For your purposes that may be irrelevant, just don't expect a real wilderness type experience. Aside from the aforementioned floating and fishing, if you feel like driving another 30-40 minutes north into the national forest, there are several easily accessible giant sequoia groves.

privateer

Reaction score
What are you guys looking to do?

Go hiking? Party? Camp in a campground? Backpack?

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
If you stick to the main campgrounds along the highway it WILL be crowded on any weekend in summer. For your purposes that may be irrelevant, just don't expect a real wilderness type experience. Aside from the aforementioned floating and fishing, if you feel like driving another 30-40 minutes north into the national forest, there are several easily accessible giant sequoia groves.

We aren't trying to do a true wilderness type thing but we do want to do some hiking/backpacking with camping. We actually don't mind fishing/floating along the river. As for camping in a campground, if that is the only place available to throw a tent down, then its fine. I think we'd appreciate it more if we could just hike around and find a spot to pitch a tent and chill out. Not much partying really, just spending some time together.

Originally Posted by privateer
What are you guys looking to do?

Go hiking? Party? Camp in a campground? Backpack?

This is what we have checked out so far:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...5&parkId=71587

fffffut

Reaction score
probably not a good idea to get in the river in a lot of parts

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mblova
We aren't trying to do a true wilderness type thing but we do want to do some hiking/backpacking with camping. We actually don't mind fishing/floating along the river. As for camping in a campground, if that is the only place available to throw a tent down, then its fine. I think we'd appreciate it more if we could just hike around and find a spot to pitch a tent and chill out. Not much partying really, just spending some time together.

This is what we have checked out so far:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...5&parkId=71587

Never been to that campground, but I'm pretty sure it's right next to or very close to some giant sequoia groves. It's not real near the Kern river though, not sure if you noticed (check out the regional map).

You could definitely do some overnights in the national forest around there. I think you can dispersed camp basically anywhere in Sequoia NF as long as it's not in a pocket of private property. You could also do some overnights going north along the river past where the highway leaves the river. The only place around there that you need a permit for overnights is inside Golden Trout Wilderness, once you get pretty far north along the Kern, and I think those are free.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fffffut
probably not a good idea to get in the river in a lot of parts

Yeah, I think you might be supposed to get a permit for river use too, forgot about that. Definitely want to be sure you're not floating right into a rapids, as that's what that section of river is known for.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
A wise woman told me she'd never swim Kern River again. Have to go with her advice. Good luck though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My father used to have a ranch on the Kern River. I never swam in it. Very swift and dangerous in a lot of places.

Hart Park is beautiful but overrun by ganstas.

Mblova

Reaction score
Thanks for the recs. Will look into the mentioned areas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads