1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Camper shoes

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by tyates, Apr 17, 2008.

1. tyates

tyates Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on Camper shoes? I've owned a few in the past and liked them at first, but I grew tired of their style after a year or so. Some of the recent styles have a unique look but I wonder if they are over priced.

Any other Spanish shoe brands worth considering?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hammerhill

hammerhill Senior member

Camper shoes are W I D E and overpriced. I've got a friend with wide feet and bad taste who swears they're the most comfortabe shoes he's ever owned, though.

3. dusty

dusty Senior member

Larry David approved. I like some of their boots though.

4. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

I think 99 percent of them are not that great looking but they are probably some of the most comfortable shoes ever made!

5. beano

beano Member

I had a pair of the early pelota shoe. I agree that they were hella comfortable and I liked the look. But I haven't liked any of their other shoes.

6. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

^ amen. i have ooold pelotas that i can't get rid of despite their recent dormancy. i put them on as i debate whether or not to bin them and their comfort keeps them in my closet. they are nice and beat up, but the thick soles have decades left in them.

7. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

I like the thin soled pelotas the best...

8. denimdestroyedmylife

i think i am kinda embarrassed by my campers [​IMG]

9. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Whoah, these are still around? I wore them back in college (7+ years ago!). Mine were the classic brown leather ones. Are they still made in Spain?

10. denimdestroyedmylife

come to think of it, mine are of the same vintage...

that's some shelf life!

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I think 2000 was the year of the Camper. I never lived these down with my parents. My dad recently bought new bowling shoes (uh, to bowl in) and said "Hey, I think you'll like them, they look like those shoes you have!"

[​IMG]

I remember thinking they were REALLY expensive at the time--what, $120? Actually, that is kind of expensive.

12. tyates

tyates Well-Known Member

I remember thinking they were REALLY expensive at the time--what, $120? Actually, that is kind of expensive.

Well, most of them now are around the $180 range on the low end.

13. bcx

bcx Senior member

I've been looking for these Campers but nothing even close to it when I visited the SoHo store last month. [​IMG]

14. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

Well, most of them now are around the $180 range on the low end.

I was in the store the other day, the majority were less than 180...

15. entropy kid

entropy kid Senior member

Are they still made in Spain?

Don't necessarily quote me on this, but the last pair I bought were made in Morocco (which is only a couple of miles away from spain...).
    I still wear a pair of the once in a while when I know I'll be on my feet all day long. Can't stand the sight of the classic Pelotas anmore, though.

16. dubcbadass

dubcbadass Senior member

Bringing back this old thread... for some campers which I don't think are too horrible, their 'Together' line. Collaborating w/ designers or some such thing. The sandals are plug ugly, but the ring boots (similar to Quoddy's but lower in profile) and shoes ain't too bad. Plus, they are supposedly made with eco materials which is a plus for my crunchy ass. Why are they so expensive, though? Here is the link.

17. Robert

Robert Senior member

I actually like the Brothers model. It has sort of a saddle shoe look. I have to be careful what I pair it with though. Only looks good with certain kinds of pants, mostly straight jeans and some darker khakis.

18. stoppitmissus

stoppitmissus Member

I'm a big fan. If I had the cash I'd replace most of my other casual shoes with the full range of Peu Ramblas - the canvas ones. Well comfy. Campers also hold their value pretty well so if you keep them in good condition, you can ebay them if you get bored with a pair.

I also love the elastic laces but struggled to get hold of any replacements here in the UK so I had some made. I'm selling the excess pairs if anyone wants to PM me. I'm new so I can't link an ad yet, but I will after my probation period is up : )

Mike.

19. TheRealBillyOcean

TheRealBillyOcean Well-Known Member

I haven't bought a pair of these in about 12 years, but I can co-sign these shoes being comfortable. And you don't see people wearing them anymore like you did in the early 2000's.

20. mejuan

mejuan New Member

Greetings from Spain. I've done some of my own research over an 8 year period.
    It seems to me that Camper makes their high end shoes in Spain and the lower cost shoes....where ever labour is cheap.
    There are 3 other companies that make shoes in Spain. Shoes that suit my style and are with in my price range.

calzadosvictoria.com (Victoria Shoes) are my faves. Just bought a pair for 10€.

maians.es (Maians Shoes) are also great. Confortable but a bit more expensive.

munichsports.com (Munich Shoes) I don't own a pair but would like to try them out. They can be very affordable in Spain.

All these companies have long histories. I don't know what their overseas pricing is like or what their shipping costs are, or if they ship. I hope this helps a bit. <3