1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Campanile & Stemar shoes - quality?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PocketCircle, Dec 2, 2008.

1. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Senior member

I'd like to learn more about these brands.

2. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

I'd like to learn more about these brands.
    Campanile makes shoes for Canali. Good quality, mostly blake stitched unless stamped goodyear on the bottom. The leather tends to dry out rather quickly. Stemar... I know they have a Stefano & Mario limited line that is as attractive as Santoni FAM... and a regular line. That's about it, this brand is rarely ever brought up here, possibly because of the limited distribution of them.

3. CharlestonBows

CharlestonBows Senior member

I have a couple pairs of Campanile shoes - in fact, my favorite monk-strap is one of them. Nice shoe, and has held up really well.

4. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I have a couple pairs of Campanile shoes - in fact, my favorite monk-strap is one of them. Nice shoe, and has held up really well.

Speaking of, I just bought these Canali shoes (probably made by Campanile?)

(Click on Collection - Accessories, click on right arrow until you see shoes - they are the brown double monkstraps on the left):

http://www.canali.it/frame_index.jsp?lingua_id=2

They are very versatile and will probably go with anything except a suit. Yes, I paid retail since they are new.

What do you guys think?

5. FidelCashflow

^ Incredible shoes. I'd say that raises the bar for Canali shoes. The one thing I've noticed about the ones I've seen in stores, is that often the brown leathers looks quite beat up, possibly from usage of inferior leathers. Those shoes clearly don't have that issue. Enjoy [​IMG]

6. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Huge fan of Campanile.
    Very nice lasts, great leathers, they do dry out, but that is why we use leather conditioners.
    Great bang for the buck (I seem to find them for great deals on them).

7. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

What would be a "great deal" for Campanile chukkas?

8. FidelCashflow

As predicted when you ask about Stemar, it's as quiet as a church on Tuesday. I think they're blake-stitched, probably on a similar level as Campanile. Where did you find Stemar shoes? I've only ever seen them at Harrods in London. They have some funky exotic skins, but their designs can be hit and miss for my tastes. I'm not sure I'd pay full price for them, but possibly on sale. Although that's not based on any actual experience with the product, just my perceptions after seeing them over and over again.

9. EL72

EL72 Senior member

What would be a "great deal" for Campanile chukkas?

$150

Campanile make good shoes but some of the recent styles are pretty out there and too fashion-forward eyetalian-looking imo.

10. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

^ Incredible shoes. I'd say that raises the bar for Canali shoes. The one thing I've noticed about the ones I've seen in stores, is that often the brown leathers looks quite beat up, possibly from usage of inferior leathers. Those shoes clearly don't have that issue. Enjoy [​IMG]

How can you tell these shoes don't have that issue?

11. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Huge fan of Campanile.
    Very nice lasts, great leathers, they do dry out, but that is why we use leather conditioners.
    Great bang for the buck (I seem to find them for great deals on them).

How often to use leather conditioners to prevent that?

12. mishon

mishon Senior member

They are very versatile and will probably go with anything except a suit.
    Pretty sure these will look fine with a slim blue suit. Handsome shoe, nevertheless.

13. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

How often to use leather conditioners to prevent that?

At least once a month.
    I also use a shoecream after the conditioner.

14. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

15. cearain

cearain Member

I like the campaniles. I bought 2 pairs when I was in rome. 2002 I had them resoled once and they held up well - I wore them about 2 xs a week for 3 years. I could never find them sold in the states. But when my mom went to Rome I had her buy two more pairs. I always get the the cap toe one black one brown.

How can we buy them here? I tried e-mailing the store years ago (he had a little website) but I think there was a sort of communication breakdown.

16. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

17. Nexus6

Nexus6 Senior member

Thanks for the 'heads up' on the lotioning antirabbit.

Just like you said, my Canali's were thirsty.
    Whew!

18. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Yeah, its kind of strange, no other shoes I own do this. You give them what they need and they will look good for a long long time.

19. cearain

cearain Member

Thanks for the yoox resource! I thought I may have to go back to Rome for them.

BTW as far as caring for the shoes never use any sort of saddle soap or other soap on them. I ruined a pair that way.

Moreover as with all leather you do have to watch out for salt.

Antirabbit what do you use for the shoes? I use meltonians for the brown shoes and just any black kiwi for the blacks.

20. Thomasthetank

Thomasthetank New Member

Hi i have had a pair of these shoes for 5 years i wear them once a week on average and store them on a shelf in the laundry so no fancy storage here! They are great!! The leather does not crease or fade and they still fit very well.

In terms of quality i rate them better than some other much better known brands such as Bally etc... which i have.

Any idea where i can buy them online?

Thanks,

Thomas