• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campaign fashions

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Gentleman, Â Â In a little more than a month, I'll be running a campaign at a Club District Convention. The dress is coat and tie, and I'll be wearing a suit for as many days as my wardrobe permits. Â Â During the campaign, I'll be caucusing. Which means I go to the different rooms where each division is and allow them to ask questions or make me do anything within the bounds of good (and legal) humor. I am seeking an endorsement (after which I will move on to the actual election against others from the other districts. Everyone knows that bc of limited time, appearance is 90% of the game. The convention is from Apr 10 to the 12. (something like that) Â Â Soooo, Â
confused.gif
 what should I wear? I have a charcoal grey suit, a navy pinstripe, a khaki (since I'll be in Biloxi, Miss. it ought to be warm and I think not too early for this), along with a tweed blazer. I'd like to hear some impressionable tie/shirt combos. Also if you have an idea for a suit, I'll be checking BR and Kenneth Cole. Thanks everyone.
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
First, I would totally avoid the tweed jacket. It really doesn't go for anything remotely official, regardless of how some people wear them.

Second, I would put money into shirts before anything else, and if you already have 3 good suits that fit you you shouldn't have to worry about that at all. The same suit can look completely different from one day to the next by changing all the other stuff you're wearing, although I don't recommend wearing the same one every day.

What kind of look are you going for, and whom are you trying to impress? This (your audience) is very important, as impressing design students is much different than impressing the Junior Republicans. What exactly is this club?

j.

Michael

Reaction score
Just wanted to wish you good luck.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Michael,

Thanks for the well-wishes.

J,

The club is Key Club (a service organization affiliated with Kiwanis). Yeah the suits fit me. The grey needs some altering, but that's no biggie. Looking forward to replies. Thanks.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What kind of people are you trying to impress? Style-oriented people or conservative type people? More info please.

j.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Sorry j. I was hoping you were familiar with Key Club. Anyway, the members come from all walks of life. From those that could buy the club to those who can hardly afford to pay the annual dues. As for conservative/ liberal, from my personal observations about my home club, it harbors both. So I guess I'd like to impress both. Everyone loves good fashion, eh? I guess would you just suggest something that impressed you from a Presidential Election. I am a bit conservative, but moderately so. And I'd like to hear opinions on the khaki suit (too early?) Again the dates are from Apr 10 to 12 in Biloxi, Mississippi.

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, NS, you are in high school. As such, most high school boys would rip on you for being to "style conscious." The alternative is that most of the girls would like it. However, you must find a happy medium.

You should try to give a well-groomed, neat appearance, but don't seem 1) overly stuffy (avoid too many suits) or 2) too trendy.

Your best bet (especially being is Mississippi) is to do khakis or light gray flannels and, as J pointed out, invest in some nice button down shirts. You can wear them sans tie during your informal caucuses and with a nice tie during your more formal occassions. You should wear your suits only during speeches/debates. Like I said, remember who your audience is and what their thoughts are. You want them to identify with you.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Thank you, Lawyer. You pegged me right-- I am indeed in high school. Yes I try to find that nice medium, and so far I'm faring well. Most guys respect it. And my my, the ladies love it. Ain't life great? Oh yeah, I won't go over the top with the clothes (I attended a Catholic school from kindergarten to 8th grade. I know how a lot of those people act, and I never want to relate myself to that characteristic). I hate it when people take themselves too seriously. It really doesn't make any sense. I'll be sure to mind my p's and q's. Again thanks for the advice.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Look here for some awesome shirt/tie combos to get some ideas. Buy their shirts if you can afford it, they're very nice.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
aaah, yes. I saw a few Thomas Pink stores when I was in Scotland over the summer. Very nice. I can't believe I didn't think about that. Does he have any stores located in the US? Thanks j, he does have some great matches on the site. Some a little bold for me, but for the most part, I like it.
biggrin.gif

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think he has a couple in NY but I may be thinking of another house.. I'm not sure.

j.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
hmmm, never heard of jpress. I'll go check it out in a bit. Thanks. And if anyone knows for sure about j's guess... does Thomas Pink have a store in NY? That'd be perfect, because I'm visiting my brother up there just prior to the election. Thanks guys, and good night.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a J. Press store in New York City. Also in New Haven CT, CAmbridge MA, and Washington DC. A store like the Brooks Bros of yore.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
Thomas Pink does have a couple of stores in NYC... one is on 53rd and Madison and the other one is on 44th and 6th Ave. Both stores are pretty big.. so you should be able to find a lot of their collections, like shirt, ties, etc.. Hope this helps
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads