• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campaign/ Election Style

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a 17 year old High school Junior from Louisiana who loves to dress well, but I would like to ask advice on putting together an outfit that would convey power as well as style. In a month I will be running for president of a large youth organization in the state and I'm not sure what i should wear for my speech. This is a two day event with one day allowing me to walk around and meet people/ campaign in person, and the second comprising of more in person campaigning and a publicly broadcast speech.

Given this is a two day event, I am set on bringing:
-medium brown dress boots /belt
-grey sharkskin 3-piece peak lapel suit
-navy pinstripe peak lapel suit

These are the options i have for ties and shirts (I am completely open to purchasing a new shirt)

Shirts:

- Cutaway collar french cuff white shirt
- navy gingam point collar
- white and purple check shirt (doesn't fit too well)
- baby blue point collar
- cream point collar

Ties:
- 3in wide dark purple
- 3.25 in navy with small dots
- 3 in navy
- skinny black
- light blue
- red
-red and gray chambray striped
- brown

(I might end up purchasing a pink cutaway collar/ french cuff shirt in herringbone to go with the purple tie under the blue suit)

Does anyone have any suggestion based (mainly on the suits) on the items i gave for an outfit that conveys power, as well as one that would help me subtly stand out as a better dressed candidate?

Thanks!
-Will Carothers

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First, let's be realistic here and stop talking about "campaigning" and "power." You're running for Youth Organization President, not President of the United States. :D

That being said, the way you dress can have a big effect on the way people perceive you. Your goal here should be to not look like you're wearing your dad's suit. And you shouldn't look overly fashionable. (Skinny suit, cutaway collar, gingham shirt, french cuffs, "dress boots" etc. will make you look like you're trying too hard)

A well-fitting navy or charcoal suit will suffice. Conservative tie of your choice. Blue medium spread collar with button cuffs. Brown or black laceups.

For advanced reading, check out this book by the forum's favorite Pol: http://www.amazon.com/The-Suit-Machiavellian-Approach-Style/dp/0060891866

Last edited:
Reaction score
I understand your point about it not seeming serious enough to warrant dressing well. It is not just a small club, but one that plays a large role on the national scale. The majority of those who run do usually dress "trendy" and very modern, i was hoping for advice on a more conservative and traditional look that would stand out. Maybe "power" was the wrong word, but I would hope for something that gave of an air of strength instead of the submissiveness that many of my peers seem to portray in their style.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What will your audience be wearing?

If you are seeking the presidency of the US then there is an expectation - more wrongly than rightly of what you must wear - and you should clutch a large bible on a Sunday.

However for a youth group, ask yourself what your audience will wear and how YOU identify with THEM. You are not some superior being and nor are you likely to change their lives so do think about being one of them....

Reaction score
The dress code for speaking and campaigning requires a suit and tie, whereas the audience will be in casual to business casual. Im not trying to show superiority, but i think that being well dressed will get people to notice me. Keep in mind that the other candidates will be dressing to the same level, but also that the style of many people my age is nearly laughable. If everyone im going against stands out for their style mistakes, i hope to stand out by dressing well.

OTM

Reaction score
Based on the information given I would recommend:

- The gray suit
- The white shirt
- The navy tie with dots

Options include:
- Using the navy gingham shirt for a more British look.
- Skipping the vest for a more informal look.
I would not recommend doing both of these at the same time.

Include a tv-folded white linen handkerchief in your breast pocket if appropriate.

Good luck!

Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea. As the event carries over to the second day, do you have any ideas for something to go with the navy stripe suit? Possibly very light pink french cuff with a deep purple tie and purple patterned ps?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Briefly, Will, my observation on this thread is this: Look, it's fun to be a dandy, and I commend you for your sartorial sophistication at so young an age. However, a great many people find dandyism annoying (or threatening), and I would expect this to be especially the case among your peers. Have you ever seen a serious candidate for president of the United States rocking a purple pocket square? Take heed accordingly,

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Briefly, Will, my observation on this thread is this: Look, it's fun to be a dandy, and I commend you for your sartorial sophistication at so young an age. However, a great many people find dandyism annoying (or threatening), and I would expect this to be especially the case among your peers. Have you ever seen a serious candidate for president of the United States rocking a purple pocket square? Take heed accordingly,

+1. This pink french cuffs and purple tie fit sounds tacky.

Dress conservatively. Let your speech speak for itself. Stop overthinking it.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OTM beat me to it; I was going to suggest exactly the same fit.

Fir the blue suit, have the white shirt laundered by the hotel, (sounds like you're travelling to thiis event; if not no reason not to wash it yourself, or enlist help from family on that) or a local one hour cleaners, and wear it again. Or, buy a second white shirt. Either way, no one will think it odd to see you in a white shirt two days in a row, even an identical one. I am sure there are some guys on here who could pop up and say they have two or three identical Mtm shirts in both white and blue.

With the pinstripe, I don't think any of your ties are a particularly good match. This is where i would make a point of investing. A solid, pin dot, or other small (non stripe, non plaid) pattern in burgundy is your best bet. If you don't have much to spend on a new tie, you can get decent quality ones from www.thetiebar.com for $15 each. They have classic to wacky, and everything in between. Stick to classic.

Also, don't wear a belt with a vest. Get yourself some suspenders. No one sees them under a vest; they won't make you look old, nor will they make you look like a hipster. Unless, of course, you wear them with no jacket, a bow tie, and skinny jeans. If you do that, we migh all come beat you up (just kidding).

As to pocket squares: white linen folded straight across, or no square at all. Don't look like Saul from Breaking Bad. I gave an inexpensive source for linen squares; send me a dm if you want her info, and have acouple weeks or more to allow for shipping time.

Last edited:

OTM

Reaction score
For two days of attire with no laundering and no additional purchases, I would go with:

A:
- Navy pinstripe suit
- White shirt
- Navy tie with dots

B:
- Grey suit, no vest
- Baby blue shirt
- Navy tie

Carli

Reaction score
- Navy pinstripe suit
- White shirt
- Navy tie with stripes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads