• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camp collar flannel shirts, aye or nay?

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I was looking through the Paul Stuart website, and I noticed a few flannel shirts in their "Cooper" camp collar. While I have a fair number of camp collar shirts in linen, cotton-linen blends, and summer-weight cotton, it has never occurred to me to look for such a shirt in a heavier cotton or flannel like these:
1102996.jpg
1102994.jpg
Coopers are stupid expensive for double-needle shirts with plastic buttons, I bet a heavier fabric would roll nicely with that kind of collar. Has anyone tried one of those shirts, or something similar? (Does anyone else make this kind of thing RTW?) Thoughts?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a few Kiton camp collars and they are great.

- B

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
In heavier fabrics?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Loro Piana Andre model is quite nice, too.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Loro Piana makes (made?) a bunch in both heavy cotton and a cotton and wool blend. They were really nice, from what I remember.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have some Zegna cashmere/cotton flannel with that collar, some of my favourite shirts!

But also in summer linen, from various makers.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Loro Piana makes (made?) a bunch in both heavy cotton and a cotton and wool blend. They were really nice, from what I remember.

Yup. I've got a few of of those though my favorite is a cashmere/silk in a cream/gray plaid that's exceptional.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
No, the ones that I have are in summer poplin.

Oh, I have a bunch summer-weight camp collar shirts. Mostly from Fray, Cifonelli, Charvet, and RLPL. No Kitons, because I see nothing about their shirts that justifies the price tag. I just could not recall seeing a winter-weight camp collar shirt before, and was intrigued enough to see what people thought about them.

Thanks for the tip, Matt and aportnoy, about the Loro Pianas. I really like their shirts generally, as far as RTW goes. I'll have to look out for those.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
Oh, I have a bunch summer-weight camp collar shirts. Mostly from Fray, Cifonelli, Charvet, and RLPL.

Camp collar Charvet? That's cool.

Is it unfused like their standard collars?

- B

contaygious

Reaction score
Is it me or is flannel really in this season? Seemed like Zegna had a ton of flannel when I was there a couple weeks ago. Lot's of pants too.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
Why not, especially if you like the shirt. Flannel is a casual shirt anyway. I see no reason to overthink this.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are "camp collars"?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, a camp collar isn't really a camp collar without the loop. As for flannel, I'm a big fan of vintage Viyella wool/cotton flannel shirts.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart Cooper collar shirts are my #1 favorite shirts for business casual dress -- the fabrics are fantastic, luxuriously soft, and come in a surprisingly varied array of colors and contents. I've got perhaps a dozen Paul Stuart Cooper collar shirts, and I get a ton of wear out of them. The brushed cotton ones are amazing -- like wearing cashmere. I've got some linens for summer, and a few heavy cotton ones for winter. I'd love a cashmere Cooper, but they'll set you back $400+. Among other camp collared shirts I have, I prefer PS's Coopers. OK, they have plastic buttons but they're the best damn plastic there is -- they never, ever break at the cleaners. As for other camps -- that I recall, I have two Kitons (fit isn't great), 2 Loro Pianas (again, fit isn't great, and fabric shows wear too quickly), and a Luciano Barbera (perhaps the best of the non-Paul Stuarts). I always just tell my wife that for Christmas, she can't go wrong getting me a couple of Paul Stuart cooper collar shirts (and some PS socks)....

Now, for business shirts, I prefer Borrelli, Barba, and Turnbull & Asser; but, when a tie isn't called for, the Paul Stuart coopers get my vote.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads