Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Camera Bags, Straps, and Other Photographic Accessories Worthy of Sartorial Consideration

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Oct 10, 2011.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Have you tried Artisan & Artist? The cord is silk and not uncomfortable at all.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I've seen those--very cool. But it wouldn't stop the camera from bouncing on my chest. I think the key is to get something quite a bit longer.

Some of the Artisan & Artist bags look very promising, but they only come in black and all have zippered openings. That past thing is a deal-breaker for me. Unzipping is slow and cumbersome, and you have to be careful taking the camera out and putting it in.

3. mafoofan

Assuming a bag from JnK similar to this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What colors would you pick?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm thinking perhaps Dakota Wine, to match the half case, Minerva Blue, Bridle Black, or Bridle Brown.

4. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

You won't like this, but I use BlackRapid straps, like this Streetwear-lookin' dude:

[​IMG]

5. mafoofan

I've heard very good things about BlackRapid, but you're right, I'm too vain for one. Also, it's overkill for a rangefinder. My Leica is probably several pounds lighter than your DSLR and its lens. Don't need such heavy duty support.

6. mafoofan

Really--no thoughts?

7. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I like dark blue leather for accessories.

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I would go with maybe rally tan, brown, or bridle brown. Are they able to send you leather samples? I feel like these things are best decided in person.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

9. mafoofan

The Minerva Navy looks very nice. The only reason I wouldn't do blue is because I already wear a lot of it.

They could send me samples, but I'm not that picky and don't want to wait. That said, some sort of brown or tan is probably the most reasonable color to pick.

10. sikfahn

sikfahn New Member

11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

A wrist strap would be a bit skimpy for a full size Leica. I actually have a Blackrapid strap for my D7000 as well as the predecessor BR sued out of business for my X10.

12. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Matt, just curious - wouldn't you ideally want a bag or case with some padding? I feel like that JnK model might prevent your camera from getting dinged up, but it would be nice if your camera was protected from harder bumps and knock-arounds too.

Note, I don't have an expensive camera, and am not a photographer, so this is just from an uninformed/ unexperienced view.

13. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I think you're over thinking this. I have a similar case and strap for my Fuji X100 and I wear it across my chest when I'm walking around.

14. mafoofan

Sure, padding would be nice, but after my experience with the Billingham, I realize I would really prefer as sleek a bag as possible. Also, the way I figure it, if I walked around without any bag (as many do), I'd have absolutely zero protection. Dings and scratches are bound to happen and I can largely avoid them by being careful. I'm much more concerned about preventing the camera from getting drenched in a downpour before I can get somewhere dry.

I'm not overthinking it. The strap is too short to hang across my chest--unless I want to keep my camera under my armpit and not be able to move it.

15. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Anyone tried the Lumalabs Cinch ?