Camera Bags, Straps, and Other Photographic Accessories Worthy of Sartorial Consideration

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Does this mean youre still looking for a bag?

Seems to me you should get the Fosseux insert, at which point you could put it in whatever bag catches your fancy at a given time.

2. celery

celery Senior member

Very good craftsmanship on those JnK's. Price is a bit more than I would have thought.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I bought a Billingham Hadley Digital, but decided I don't like it. It's generally small enough, but very thick, so it bounces a lot against my body. I want something more streamlined.

Something custom from JnK or Watanabe might be the only option. It seems only Asians are interested in very nicely crafted camera bags.

I have a JnK half case and strap; the quality and workmanship really is top-notch. I haven't found anyone who makes a better half case.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

4. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

There are lots of relatively inexpensive skins for the iPhone.

5. mafoofan

Does someone carry your camera for you?

6. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

7. sikfahn

sikfahn New Member

8. mafoofan

What point are you trying to make, exactly? Because I don't think it becomes you.

When I travel with my camera, I like to have a place to put it. First of all, it gives me piece of mind that I can afford some degree of protection when necessary. Say, it begins to rain. Second, I don't always want to have my camera showing--like when I go to a restaurant or walk into a store. I'm not sure how you get around such issues without a bag of some sort. I'm not going back to the hotel room to drop off my camera before I want to eat or shop. In addition, I may want to carry an extra lens, more rolls of film than I can fit in my pocket, etc.

All that said, I understand some people are fine living without a camera bag. There are costs and benefits to going either with or without. If you don't like the idea of using one, that's up to you, but it's silly to act as if the idea is simply a stupid one.

As far as looking good goes, it matters to me too. That's why I care so much about picking the right camera bag.

Interesting. It's the right size. Any idea about the quality?

I'm not a fan of the Thinktank bags. Just not my aesthetic.

9. sikfahn

sikfahn New Member

It's canvas with leather buckles and the interior is really soft and plush so your camera will be safe. I don't have this bag, but I have a bigger one from them and it feels solid. If you want to check it out, you should try seeing if adorama or b&h carries it in their store because I got it from one of them online, just don't remember which.

10. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

11. mafoofan

Your main lens is an 85mm? Jeezus--do you only take portraits or just like standing really far away from things? Even assuming you're using a full-frame camera, that is an exceptionally narrow angle lens for normal use.

Perhaps you don't much care if your camera or lens get dinged up, but I do. We are talking about several thousand dollars worth of equipment, and that matters to me.

I never said I was serious about photography. I just very much enjoy it. So, why shouldn't I aim for utility with some style to it?

12. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

:)

Everyone should, in everything.

14. mafoofan

[​IMG]

I'm already using one I had made by JnK in Korea (shown above). If I'm not going to be out for the entire day, don't need more than an extra roll or two of film, and comfortable there won't be any inclement weather, I leave the bag at home and rely on the half case for some protection.

That said, I've realized it doesn't actually protect much of anything. It leaves the top plate of the camera completely exposed. The bottom plate is the only thing covered. So basically, it just lets me put the camera down on surfaces that otherwise might leave scratches or marks. But replacement bottom plates are relatively inexpensive (for a Leica part) and easy to obtain. Hmm.

I'm glad you've come around on why it's important for me to find a good camera bag.

15. mafoofan

Also, considering a new strap. Mine only works around the neck, which is (a) uncomfortable, and (b) means the camera constantly thumps against my chest as I walk. I know many people carry cameras over their shoulder, but I don't feel that's secure enough. I'd prefer to wear mine over the shoulder and across the chest. But then, where is the best place for the camera to fall? At the waist? Lower, higher? At hand level would be most convenient, but would likely lead to the camera banging against my hips.