Camel polo coat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nishan22, Mar 11, 2016.

1. nishan22

nishan22 Active Member

I'm thinking of commissioning a polo coat (double breasted, peak lapels, 6 buttons, full wrap around belt). Originally, I was thinking of staying with the traditional camel hair, but am wondering if that might be much. I work in a conservative finance environment and was wondering if I might be better off going with a navy color. Is that ever done in a polo style with belt? I already have a black cashmere chesterfield coat, so wouldn't be my only one.

Thoughts?

2. Spark

Spark Senior member

Although I have no idea what a tailor would charge, I might look at the Polo version of this before I commissioned one. While it does not have a wrap-around belt (just a martingale), it has every other bell or whistle you can imagine...including a set of peak lapels so big you can probably land a harrier jump jet on them.

I have one and it is truly an astonishingly badass piece of haberdashery.

But these coats are not small or lightweight and you'd have to live in a place with serious winters to get decent mileage out of the purchase.

That said, it is a "statement" piece and you will get looks. Part of this is the fact that most people don't tend to spend that much on outerwear and this has the kind of tailoring details that are in your face compared to a simple overcoat; part is that these things are - stylistically - right out of some 40s movie and the tan color tends to really pop in a sea of black, grey, and blue.

I'd imagine that navy would be more versatile overall.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016

3. comrade

comrade Senior member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016