1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Camel hair blazers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by del4, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Sprezzatura2010

Sprezzatura2010 Senior member

I like Camel Hair blazers, but don't recall ever seeing one mentioned here. Perhaps this forum is bit too hip. I mean no disrespect in saying that, but I'm 43 and my likes might not equal those of a 23 year old. I mentioned to my secretary that I was considering a camel hair blazer and she said they were for old men (and she's an old woman).

I bought my first camelhair jacket when I was 22. Admittedly, it was more "hip" than one typically sees in American camelhair jackets, with hacking pockets, a ticket pocket, and Roman shoulders. Not an "Ivy League" jacket at all. I still wear it and like it.

The second is just a regular sportcoat that happens to be made out of camelhair. Both are thick and heavy, and I could not imagine either one being worn during warmer months.

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I am now in possession of a camelhair jacket from Chester Barrie. I love the way it feels and long fibers that give it a lovely nap. I'm looking foward to next fall. My only worry is that it looks delicate.

3. barims

barims Senior member

I spotted and tried on a DB camel blazer last week. It was a size too large and certainly wintery in weight, but I'm still curious. I see them in largely the same way yfyf does

4. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a DB camel blazer recently. Just worry about the look would be too conservative.

5. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

how luxurious is camel hair by the way , where do they fall in the hierarchy of lux feel:

cashmere
    alpaca
    wool
    silk
    mohair

etcc

To my untrained hand, camel hair is very similar in feel to cashmere - perhaps a tad "below" cashmere in softness... of course it depends on the quality of the fabrics, so I'm sure there are high-quality camel hair sportcoats which feel softer than lower-quality cashmere sportcoats...

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

To my untrained hand, camel hair is very similar in feel to cashmere - perhaps a tad "below" cashmere in softness... of course it depends on the quality of the fabrics, so I'm sure there are high-quality camel hair sportcoats which feel softer than lower-quality cashmere sportcoats...

thank you jinda

7. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I just had one made up (SBNL; 3B; flapped pockets; side-vents) -- unfortunately I have only been able to wear it twice so far since we are into the summer months and the weight of it is more appropriate for the other three seasons. Colorwise I think it is fantastically versatile.

Stylistically/culturally I associate it with older Italian men -- I'll never pass for the latter (well, perhaps from the very northern reaches of Treviso) but I am no longer young.

8. dsgNYC

dsgNYC Senior member

I spotted and tried on a DB camel blazer last week. It was a size too large and certainly wintery in weight, but I'm still curious. I see them in largely the same way yfyf does

This reminds me of the Brooks Brothers Black Fleece camel hair DB blazer I really want. I love it paired with those pants. It's on sale...for only $840

[​IMG]

9. Petyot

Petyot Senior member

I just had one made up (SBNL; 3B; flapped pockets; side-vents) -- unfortunately I have only been able to wear it twice so far since we are into the summer months and the weight of it is more appropriate for the other three seasons. Colorwise I think it is fantastically versatile.

May I ask where you did get the fabric ? I would love to have one made for me but I don't know where to find the fabric.

Thanks

Pierre

10. eg1

eg1 Senior member

May I ask where you did get the fabric ? I would love to have one made for me but I don't know where to find the fabric.

Thanks

Pierre

My tailor in Toronto had it in one of his swatch books -- it is with some embarrassment that I admit I don't know which fabric house. [​IMG]

11. Petyot

Petyot Senior member

My tailor in Toronto had it in one of his swatch books -- it is with some embarrassment that I admit I don't know which fabric house. [​IMG]

No problem. Thanks anyway.

12. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

This reminds me of the Brooks Brothers Black Fleece camel hair DB blazer I really want. I love it paired with those pants. It's on sale...for only $840

[​IMG]

nice but what you think about a brand new Brioni camel hair db jacket for only 300??

13. hr1305

hr1305 New Member

Though this thread is a bit old...perhaps i can get some last-minute advice.

Would it be gauche to pair a camelhair with grey winter-weight chinos, and not wool trousers? would it be garrish to complete with a bowtie (wool, black watch, point-tip)?

14. badsha

badsha Senior member

15. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

How are camel hair blazers usually worn? I'm 37 years old and I am conservitive stylewise. I am looking for something casual to throw over a nice polo or sport shirt. Is this what I am looking for?

yes, it is.

16. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

I think they are an excellent alternative to blue blazers.

17. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

I have two Camel hair blazers -- one in black and one in deep burgundy/rust. I typically wear them with a thin silk or cotton sweater or high-end long sleeve three-button polo shirt and navy or charcoal flannel trousers. They also look good with an odd vest, dress shirt and interesting tie. Camel blazers are rather warm and relegated to fall/winter wear. I get six months of wear out of them here in Denver. Not quite as versatile in warmer locals. IMO camel hair blazers are more interesting in other colors than "camel." The two I own get lots of complements.

18. etb

etb Senior member

The manager at my local RL store was wearing a nicely fitted one recently with: dark brown bluchers, a dark brown merino turtle neck, and a killer pair of wool pants--from the 2009 season, a subtle plaid, overall effect was medium brown but the pants contained several shades of brown and green. Traditional but super sharp. I think camel blazers really benefit from adding patterned pants.

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I picked up two from some guy on Ebay who had had them custom made, one in a nice rich brown (a bit dark than "camel" I think), and a grey glenplaid. I get a lot of wear out of the brown, basically wear it as a blazer, usually with a blue shirt, sometimes a tie. I'm actually a professor, so the "professor look" is fine. [​IMG] I'm only 28, but the cut is pretty good so it doesn't feel old to me.

20. xcontext

xcontext Member

I feel comfortable wearing mine only when I dress it down with older jeans, even a pair of Doc Martens. When I try it with tie or nice slacks it feels to dandy. I am not sure if this make sense. Mine is a light colored one. It is made by Etro (with the typical wild colors lining) so it has more modern cut. Some others are very "boxy," like the ones sold at Costco for $ 75 at times. Not much can be done with those.