• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camel Colored Winter Coat

Star

Reaction score
I have noticed on the Satorialist blog a number of his pics from Florence, Italy; of men sporting "˜Camel' colored winter coats. (See Dec 08.... http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/...1_archive.html )
Is the "˜camel' color-ed winter coat a standard (other than black) or a something that will already be out of favour next winter?

Like suites, are black winter coats considered a 'no no'?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1209ModCoatWeb.jpg

1149DBcoatwalkingWeb.jpg

1139CamelCoatsweb.jpg

1159CamelCoatPSWeb.jpg

You'll notice they are all middle age or older. All likely own a few coats. For every camel coat you find in an Italian shop you'll find a few blacks,navy blue,dark grey etc.

To me a camel coat is something to have. Not the first or only coat but very nice to rotate in.

Bsides

Reaction score
damn that last coat is epic.

Id say its a classic look, so you're pretty safe with it.

However if I only had one winter coat, id still have to go with black...next winter i will definitely grab one of these though.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I have a camel colored coat similar to the one in the last pick (though the shoulders aren't as nice)
I've had it for a few years and don't really consider it trendy, just something to mix into my line-up for a little diversity. I used to wear it probably several times a week, but I've gone back to school and less frequently wear it now because of the other clothes I'm wearing.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola

To me a camel coat is something to have. Not the first or only coat but very nice to rotate in.[/I]
I agree, I think a nice camel coat is good to have on hand. I wouldn't make it my only coat, but would like to have one in rotation. Currently I don't own one but have it on my wish list for next winter.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have cashmere coats in camel in DB and SB and a navy one in SB and find I wear them all regularly in rotation. Camel looks great with grey and navy suits as well as casually with cords, jeans, white jeans etc...

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another example with Prince Charles doing the modeling. No back view but I would like to have it with the half belt.

article-1132816-033F9D33000005DC-540_468x424.jpg

The heavy lapped seam and the inverted high pleat with half belt shown in the picture with the two men are handsome features for that style of coat.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those darker coats are neither camel coloured nor camel hair. What Prince Charles is wearing is the best depiction of a true camel hair coat (and colour) some of the coats above are a bit washed out, which is common with camel hair nowadays. I'd say camel hair is actually very versatile, esp. if you're in the US.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dream coat
worship.gif

540-1-lg.jpg

540-3-lg.jpg

Sebastian

Reaction score
Here is mine:
p1010033s.jpg

Altough I will have to see my tailor about it, I like it quite a lot.
For me, it's one of the most versatile pieces of outerwear. Can be worn with suit, sportscoat or even Dinner jacket.

BTW, I am selling another camel colored coat in my sig...
blush.gif

AJR Journal

Reaction score
I LOVE my double-breasted camel coat that comes to mid-calf. It is perfect for Milwaukee's winters. It is so warm that I really can't wear it until the temps drop under 20F. It says "Cardinal of Canada" on the label.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads