• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camel-colored Jos Bank Signature Gold sport coat?

uteng2k7

Reaction score
Hi everyone, newbie here.

I am normally the type of guy who buys clothes from Wal-Mart and Target, but I am trying to branch out into nicer clothes. However, I am pretty ignorant about men's clothing, so I came here to learn more.

I am looking to buy a decent, but not super high-end sport coat. I was looking on Jos A. Bank's website, and found this camel-colored sport coat on clearance:

http://www.josbank.com/IWCatProductP...duct_Id=370414

It seems pretty obvious that Bank inflates their prices at least somewhat, so they can put items on "sale" and make it look like you're getting a bargain. But still, the thought of getting a nominally $800 dollar coat for $200 is still appealing. So I have a couple of questions for the more clothing-knowledgeable folks:

1. Is this a good deal? Since I don't really know how to judge suit/sport coat quality, how much is the retail price inflated?

2. What types and colors of shirts and pants would go well with this color coat? Is this coat too "dressy" to wear jeans with?

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, a $200 JAB sport coat is a run-of-the-mill deal. Let me put it this way: I'll bet there are many forumites who simply wouldn't buy a JAB sport coat under (nearly) any circumstances. For them, this is not a good deal. I'm not trying to poo-poo such people, but I can see their argument that with time+patience something of much higher quality can be found for nearly that low a price. Under those conditions, a JAB sport coat just isn't worth it at all. However, others will have different time/patience/availability/etc. criteria, in which case a $200 JAB sport coat can be a nice work-horse odd jacket.

I think one aspect of "a good deal" newbies have is whether or not a certain item can be often or easily had at a lower price. For example, if that jacket was on a 10% off sale, many here would caution you that JAB has much bigger sales and a little patience should save you a lot. In this case, I would be surprised if you would be able to find the exact same jacket, in your size within the next month at a substantially lower price. From that point of view, it's a decent deal for that jacket.

Ultimately, it's only a good deal if you're happy with the jacket and the $200 paid for it.

As for what to wear it with....It strikes me as more a spring-to-early fall jacket rather than a fall-to-winter jacket (which is why it might be on such a sale right now). Some light gray flannels might be nice. Or, keep it in the warm/brown tones and get some medium brown trousers. I'm actually pretty bad at looking at one item and describing things to go with it. I just take things to the store and start mixing and matching until I come up with something I like.

BTW, I do have one JAB sport coat. A tan silk number I bought for spring-to-fall wear. I've found it to be sturdy and versatile. The shoulders are a bit bigger/padded that I would like, but it fits me pretty well overall and I enjoy wearing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads