• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Came Across These Odd Pieces of Advice in the Details Magazine "Style Manual"

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I generally like Details magazine. For the most part, the "Style Manual" is also well thought-out.

However, these two pieces of advice relating to blazer and sportcoat design struck me as totally off-base:

From page 67:

"THE VENTS:

Vents allow for a more forgiving fit. A single center vent works better if you like a slim profile. Double vents will give you more volume around the pants to make room for that sweater. They are good for bigger guys.​

THE BUTTONS:

Three button blazers may help the vertically challenged feel a little taller. A one- or two-button style will bring the oversize guy back into proportion."​

I thought that double vents work on all body types.

Also, I thought that three-button jackets work better on taller guys, and that one and two-button jackets work better on shorter guys (especially with low button-stance designs). This is the opposite of what the author suggests.

Any thoughts?

Meursault-

Reaction score
I'm with you on the buttons. I also remember reading that double vents are bad for big guys with ample rear-ends, as it tends to look like an agape trap door.

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
RE: Vents:

Double vent work well on thin guys, anyhow.

Single vent can be problematic on skinny guys who don't fill out their jackets-- so even if the chest and other elements of jacket are the correct size, the single vent can flare out in a very unflattering way (esPECially one cotton or wool blend jackets, rather than 100% wool).

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my cursory perusal of that tome, I found a lot of questionable stuff (and some counsel I thought was just downright wrong or bad), which is why I didn't buy it.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I'm a short guy, and a three button just makes me look even shorter...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads