• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calzoleria Toscana (shoes)

blackrover

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of Calzoleria Toscana lavorate a mano from Nordstrom, and I must say they are a great shoes for the money. They are made in Italy and have the same construction qualities you see in shoes that four time as much. Even though they are missing some of the finer details, they are a great looking shoe and for 150 big ones I think a steal as well. They never hurt my feet. Even before broke in and I'm on my feet at all day. I can't say enough about them... high grade soft leather that feels and smells great. Everything you would expect in a good Italian shoes at a price lower than (crappy) Mezlan.

http://search.nordstrom.com/SearchRe...go.x=16&go.y=4

BTW: Does anyone know what Lavorate a mano means

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackrover
I recently bought a pair of Calzoleria Toscana lavorate a mano from Nordstrom, and I must say they are a great shoes for the money. They are made in Italy and have the same construction qualities you see in shoes that four time as much. Even though they are missing some of the finer details, they are a great looking shoe and for 150 big ones I think a steal as well. They never hurt my feet. Even before broke in and I'm on my feet at all day. I can't say enough about them... high grade soft leather that feels and smells great. Everything you would expect in a good Italian shoes at a price lower than (crappy) Mezlan.

http://search.nordstrom.com/SearchRe...go.x=16&go.y=4

BTW: Does anyone know what Lavorate a mano means

Not bad at all for the money. Literally, Lavorate a Mano means 'worked by hand'...so they are handmade, to a degree.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one is interesting. Well, sort of, I cannot quite decide...
http://store.nordstrom.com/product/p...All+Categories
1409.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are these? Glued, welted, blake-stitched? Cannot tell from the photographs. Anyone seen these at a Nordstrom's?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
What are these? Glued, welted, blake-stitched? Cannot tell from the photographs. Anyone seen these at a Nordstrom's?

I have. I believe that they're Blake-constructed.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcusey

Thanks Jcusey. How was the leather on them?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do get points for styling in the vein of Lattanzi/Santoni.

I can't image the leather/construction is much of anything for $150.

They are what they are.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I have a pair of the dk brown wingtips from Calzoleria Toscana and they are a great shoe for the $. At $150, they could pass for a higher end shoe....sole is blake stitched and the leather is nice and grainy, not plasticky at all. Comfortable from day 1 and has only gotten better as they wear in. Took a chance on ordering these sight unseen/unworn and they turned out to be a homerun.

I saw those captoes at a Nordstrom's the other week and I wasnt too into them. The leather has an odd/artificial distressing and I'm not into the hemp/rope shoelaces with the huge ass toggle on the end. Those cost a bit more as well, $225, and don't seem nearly as nice as the pair I got online.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Jcusey. How was the leather on them?

They're $225 shoes. It's okay, but Mantellassi need not worry.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're $225 shoes. It's okay, but Mantellassi need not worry.
I did not really feel that would be the case - not that I would know, I don't have any high end shoes - some Loake, Loding and Grensons are about as "fancy" as it gets for me
blush.gif
smile.gif
! Get Smart: I think that is a big reason why those do not quite pull me... the laces are rather too rustic for the shoe, for starters and the leather looks a little odd...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think that is a big reason why those do not quite pull me... the laces are rather too rustic for the shoe, for starters and the leather looks a little odd...

yea, looking at the shoe in store i had this great urge to cut the laces off.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John, doesn't that look like stitching on the top of the sole extension? And look at the heel. Do we not, perhaps, have a 360-degree welt? Do Blake/Rapid ever look like that around the heel? Surely a Blake-stitched shoe wouldn't, would it?.
eh.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Those captoes shown above are the only ones that are welted. All the other Calzoleria shoes seem to be blake stitched.

blackrover

Reaction score
I got these in black. For the leather and construction comments you should try them. You just might be surprised...I was and I do have experience with highend shoes. The pics I posted of my Canali's dissapeared after the crash.

Oh and they are Blake constructed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics