• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calvin Klein Suits at Macys?

mgold

Reaction score
What is people's opinion of the Calvin Klein suits at Macys? I've found the fit on these to be much better than anything else I've tried on. (Including several more expensive suits.) I like the suits are made in Canada, and not China like most of what I've seen.

My only observation about these is that the material seems to be stiff and not smooth. A lot of suits I've seen have a softer feel to them. I'm not sure if this is noticeable or that it makes a difference for longevity of the suit. Does it?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgold
What is people's opinion of the Calvin Klein suits at Macys? I've found the fit on these to be much better than anything else I've tried on. (Including several more expensive suits.) I like the suits are made in Canada, and not China like most of what I've seen.

My only observation about these is that the material seems to be stiff and not smooth. A lot of suits I've seen have a softer feel to them. I'm not sure if this is noticeable or that it makes a difference for longevity of the suit. Does it?

I own one from my pre-SF days. The cloth is nice enough considering the cost, but the construction is ******. I still wear it because my alterations tailor did a great job and it looks good on me, but I wouldn't purchase another.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What else have you tried on?

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I own one from my pre-SF days. The cloth is nice enough considering the cost, but the construction is ******. I still wear it because my alterations tailor did a great job and it looks good on me, but I wouldn't purchase another.

Same here!!

mgold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
What else have you tried on?
I tried a Hugo Boss and Calibrate suit at Nordstroms. I went to Men's Wearhouse and tried the Joseph Aboouds and Prontos (never go there!). Also I went to JosBank. The problem with a lot of the suits was that the pants were like balloons on me. Also when I put on the jackets they looked boxy. (The Calibrate jacket fit well, but I did not like the pants.) Most of the suits out there seem to be for guys who are trying to hide weight. I'm not a particular skinny guy, just trim and fit. The CK fit nicely in the jacket, and would need virtually no tailoring. The pants actually fit me and were a good cut for someone of my stature.

SuitMyself

Reaction score

These suits are licensed; they're not "real" Calvin Klein suits and contain fused chest pieces, not canvassed construction. Mr. Klein's company receives royalty for licensing the name on clothing and Mr. Klein himself has never even once laid eyes on these suits. They're made by Peerless Clothing in Montreal (and sometimes made in China) and are distributed to mid-price retailers such as Sears, The Bay, Moores, and Tip Top Tailors in Canada.

mrjames

Reaction score
I tried a Hugo Boss and Calibrate suit at Nordstroms. I went to Men's Wearhouse and tried the Joseph Aboouds and Prontos (never go there!). Also I went to JosBank. The problem with a lot of the suits was that the pants were like balloons on me. Also when I put on the jackets they looked boxy. (The Calibrate jacket fit well, but I did not like the pants.) Most of the suits out there seem to be for guys who are trying to hide weight. I'm not a particular skinny guy, just trim and fit. The CK fit nicely in the jacket, and would need virtually no tailoring. The pants actually fit me and were a good cut for someone of my stature.
you have to remember that each brand is tailored to fit a certain 'shape'- a brand might have 2 or 3 different cuts but for the majority will only offer a single cut, so it either fits your shape or it doesn't- cost has nothing to do with the quality of the fit, the cost is an indication of the quality od constructuon and the quality of fabric- which in the long term might contribute to the jacket 'moulding' to your body and fitting better, but cost has nothing to do with off the rack fit. Find a brand that fits you properly, or find a good tailor most brands are not cut for slim guys. I find it very difficult to get anything off the rack

mgold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrjames
most brands are not cut for slim guys. I find it very difficult to get anything off the rack

I know! It's very annoying!

Most of Macy's selection of suits fit me well. I think maybe their suits are targeted for younger buyers, who are most likely slimmer.

I think I did well with this CK suit. 3 pieces for $250. Besides, the fit being better makes it "look" better quality in my opinion.

chet31

Reaction score
SF put me off on buying CK for a while, but then I finally said screw it. I like their designs and they fit me well. I find their suits and sport coats hold up pretty well, some of their other stuff (like dress shirts) not as much.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not buy anyting sold at Macys (maybe socks). I think there are much better options out there that you can find around the same pricepoint if you shop around. I purchased a nice RLBL navy suit BNWT on this forum for $400 and it will wick the ass out of any CK suit or anything sold at Macys.

I go-to suits have been BB GF Fiz and Regent (even though Fiz is slimmer, I find I like the regent better). Excellent quality Fiz made in the US, Regent made in italy. Great details, full canvas construction, excellent hand. Suits retailed for $1,900-$2,400 for the Regent. Purchased them for about $800 each with various sales stacked up and I cound not be happier. I would stay away from their lesser lines though.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I'm a nut, but Rugby Ralph Lauren generally has nice slim-fitting suits.
The quality is definitely better than off the rack ck.

Uniqlo if you are in the NY Soho Area is a favorite and pretty low price.

RLBL is a slim fit but might be expensive considering you are eyeing the ck's otr@macys

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lilmann40
At the end of the day, it's all about the fit. If the CK fits you really nicely, go for it and screw what SF's opinions are. Fit is king!!!
The point is that you can get nicer (albeit more expensive) suits that fit just as well.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OF all the mall brands I'd say CK is the one where you have the best chance of not looking terrible.

XFactor

Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads