• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calorie consumption during lifting

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We were talking about this last night and I had no idea what the answer was.

I know this is going to vary depending on the intensity of your workout, the specific exercises involved, and the person in question, but what do people think the ballpark calorie consumption per hour will be during lifting, say high intensity lifting on compound exercises, 30 sets of 10 reps, 1.5 minutes rest between sets, for say, a 200 pounder with 10% body fat?

Is the calorie consumption going to be anywhere near the amount consumed during cardio?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117

I know this is going to vary depending on the intensity of your workout, the specific exercises involved, and the person in question, but what do people think the ballpark calorie consumption per hour will be during lifting, say high intensity lifting on compound exercises, 30 sets of 10 reps, 1.5 minutes rest between sets, for say, a 200 pounder with 10% body fat?

Is the calorie consumption going to be anywhere near the amount consumed during cardio?

You would probably have to consider how much weight the person is moving and the specific compound exercises. There are just too many variables to get a simple equation to tell you how many calories are burned.

It's also going to depend on what kind and the intensity of cardio your comparing it too.

This article suggests cardio will burn more:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042001772.html
Doing circuit training (a series of exercises using different muscle groups, with minimal rest in between) requires eight METs, the same as running at a speed of 5 mph. To increase to 6 mph (a 10-minute-mile pace), you need 10 METs. Heavy weight lifting, by contrast, requires only six METs; light weight lifting, three. In other words, you have to work very hard at a non-cardiovascular exercise such as weight lifting to get to the same MET level reached by less-intense cardiovascular exercise. And only cardio will take you into the highest calorie-burning realm.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
You would probably have to consider how much weight the person is moving and the specific compound exercises. There are just too many variables to get a simple equation to tell you how many calories are burned.

It's also going to depend on what kind and the intensity of cardio your comparing it too.

This article suggests cardio will burn more:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042001772.html

I figured that was the case. I am thinking ballpark though, that the workout I described is probably along the lines of 500 calories per hour. I believe with the parameters I described treadmill cardio at a 10 minute mile pace would be more like 1000 calories per hour consumption, so the numbers you state seem to make sense.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figured that was the case. I am thinking ballpark though, that the workout I described is probably along the lines of 500 calories per hour. I believe with the parameters I described treadmill cardio at a 10 minute mile pace would be more like 1000 calories per hour consumption, so the numbers you state seem to make sense.

Yeah cardio usually burns calories at a much faster rate. I think your estimation is a bit off though, 10MPH (that's pretty damn fast btw) for someone w/ the descriped parameters would be around 1500 calories per hour.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Yeah cardio usually burns calories at a much faster rate. I think your estimation is a bit off though, 10MPH (that's pretty damn fast btw) for someone w/ the descriped parameters would be around 1500 calories per hour.
10 minute mile pace = 6 mph. My normal cardio is about 20 minutes of HIIT in the mornings and evenings which burns quite a few calories. I go about 10 mph during the work intervals and 4 mph during the rest intervals. I want to say it's a bit over 400 calories per session.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
For what you described, probably between 350-500 kcal/hr. Lower intensity weight lifting (that most casual people at the gym might do) is probably only 150-200 kcal/hr.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That sounds about right.

I switched up to more of a full body workout for cutting and dropped the weight quite a bit.

Today:

Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 x 10 @ 85
Barbell Bench Press: 3 x 10 @ 225
Squat: 3 x 10 @ 225
Deadlift: 3 x 10 @ 225
Dips: 3 x 10
Pullups: 3 x 10
Machine Dips: 3 x 10 @ 225
Weighted Pushup: 4 x 25 @ 45
One-Arm Rows: 3 x 10 @ 75
Barbell Curls: 3 x 10 @ 85

Pretty easy and fast workout (1 hour or so) with high intensity, three times a week with the same weight. The only thing that has been a challenge is the lower calories that I'm working with. (probably about 2k/day, pretty balanced 40:40:20) which might be a little on the low side with 20-40 min of HIIT. After about a month or so, it seems to have been fairly effective, dropping about 2 lb per week or so. I figure I'm going to be losing some muscle but not a whole lot. Protein is just about 1g/lb at the moment.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Have you tried doing that workout with undulating periodization? 10 rm max monday, 8 rm max wed, 6 rm max friday? Or you could do it a week at a time with 3 week cycles. 2 lbs a week is the max you want to be losing right now, don't go over that.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Have you tried doing that workout with undulating periodization? 10 rm max monday, 8 rm max wed, 6 rm max friday? Or you could do it a week at a time with 3 week cycles. 2 lbs a week is the max you want to be losing right now, don't go over that.
That's what I used to do with HST. 12 reps 9 reps 6 reps with increasing weight per lifting session. It was good for bulking but I figured that for cutting simply doing a workout with a good amount of work (displacement x weight) would be good for calorie consumption and simple to execute but I would imagine that some periodization may maximize the amount of thermogenic effect from increased teardown. I'm just worried about not having enough calories and protein to repair large amounts of teardown.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

unfortunately not

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
unfortunately not
I think once you calculate the calories consumed for rebuilding teardown and increased metabolic effect it will end up being about the same depending on some factors, though.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but, in that case, walking is one of the better activities since it breaks down fat most right?

I think the thing is cardio is a fast way to lose calories immediately.
Lifting vigorously is good but even the long term effects aren't going to be as effective in burning calories than cardio for the same period of time.

The time factor is largely understated - you really have to wait a long long time (imo 1-2 months before you see any change is long) to see the effects

Weights advantage: stronger & increase in calorie burning over a long period (but really, it's not very much in the mid-run)

Cardio - 900 calories per hour is alot and you can still perform HIIT afterwards (I don't know if this makes HIIT less effective, but I've been experimenting and it seems to work fine) Even if I do a run to burn off 450 cals in 30 minutes, I can still perform a HIIT.

additionally, the burning calories & building muscle is offset by the hunger factor (or at least for me) where I need to consume more protein than I would if I just did cardio.

I do cardio to lose weight though, not for improving my heart/endurance

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
With cardio, you will be burning more than weightlifting. Unless we're talking some really ***** cardio and some balls-out supersetted lifting. Forget about "fat burning" zones, imo that's complete bullshit- you'll lose much more weight by simply going for as high an intensity for as long a time as you can manage simply by burning more calories.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads