• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CalmDC redoes his wardrobe - criticism is still welcome

calmdc

Reaction score
Doing a complete revamp of my casual wardrobe. Won't post any picks at this point, because it's all getting chucked. Think of it like this - the best piece of fall/winter clothing I own are Levi 501 Raws... everything else is downhill from there.

Recent Purchases:

Tops:
Nothing

Bottoms:
Unbranded Indigo Tapered - Arriving 10/06

Tried buying at 7th Street DC Urban Outfitters, but the store clerk looked at me cross-eyed when I asked him if they had any in stock. Purchased online - will post pictures of the fit when they arrive tomorrow.

Shoes:
Sperry Top-Sider Halyard Chukkas - Canvas Brown - purchased last Sunday

Kind of regretting this purchase now, but they were cheap... : )

Clarks DB Beeswax - Arriving 10/06

Clarks DB Grey Leather - Arriving 10/06

I know that the recent purchases thread is out there, but I want to keep everything organized in one place over the next couple of months. Completely open - rip into anything I buy/anything I post that doesn't fit or look right. Comments, recommendations, &c also appreciated.

calmdc

Reaction score
Received both orders a couple of minutes ago. Clarks look and fit great - extremely impressed.

The Unbranded Tapered in 34s... great quality, but the things are too small at the waist - although they seem spot on for the thighs, knees, & a little too large at the ankles. I normally wear 33s, so this is a little... distressing?

Will have pics up later today.

Edit: Also, the grey leather Clarks are crazy. Going to look great once they're broken in.

Last edited:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unbranded denim and clarks...radical. thank you for starting a new thread.

calmdc

Reaction score
Getting constructive guys, if there's something I'm missing - and there obviously is - point me in the right direction. Search brings up a lot of subjective opinions, but would much appreciate it if someone could - at least - point me towards reasonably objective criteria that I can use to measure basic things like 'fit' against.

@okay.w0w: I get it. The question isn't whether sanforized denim will stretch - I know that it's not going to - but whether it's okay for it to be tight at the waist. I can still button it up and it's not uncomfortable once it's on. Where do you draw the line between tight and too tight?

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
size down 3 more

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sanforized just means it won't shrink in the wash. All jeans will stretch out some so if they're tight they will get more comfortable. That being said, maybe it's the angle of the photo but the tapered cut isn't very flattering on you, stick to the 501 / straight legs instead? If you want better answers, post under the appropriate thread next time.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
better than 80% of the public already assuming your shirts aren't huge. The jeans look fine, how tight are they? If they're just snug stick with them.

calmdc

Reaction score
Heh, I'll make this my last post before putting this thread to rest
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

@Froosh & Taco - thanks for the advice. I'm sizing up one and switching from tailored to straight legs. I don't want to switch to another brand (APC Rescues are my fall back) because... I'm cheap.

@polarcream - love them squats

Kahlos closet

Reaction score
Love the sperrys! Will have to see a better full outfitted pic with the Jeans to give a fair opinion other than that wardrobe choice is looking very pharell Williams.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads