• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling Vintage Florsheim Experts. Help Needed.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of NOS Florsheim wingtips that I need to verify that they are shell. I really don't want to wear/crease them to find out. They are a dark burgundy. Darker than other Florsheim Shell shoes I have experienced. They retailed for $165 new, but I don't know how old they are. They have the number 93605 written below the size inside the shoe, and on the outside of the box. I currently own a pair of Shell wintips that have the same number on the interior. They are also very shiny for being however old they are. I know for a fact that they aren't CG, so don't let the shine point to that. They only reason I am hesitant that they are shell is the box labels them as "brown," and the color is very dark. I am either going to sell them, or sell my used pair and keep them. I don't want to sell them as shell and them not be such. I also don't want to keep them (sell my own), and then they aren't shell. I have attached pics to assist in answering. My main question is "is that number the model # and if so, would a calfskin and shell shoe have the same model #?" Thanks for the help.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you should wear them on the carpet, see if a little bloom develops. It shouldn't affect value

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While the complete lack of texture makes me hesitate, I lean toward shell. There is a seam on the tongue and underneath where the vamps are sewn down, right?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shell longwings often have a seam there because a single piece tongue and apron, running all the way back to the heel, would be quite large to be cut from most shells.

Their current-model longwings lack that seam because they're not made from shell. That said, I have no idea whether Florsheim constructed its calf longwings differently from the shell models in the past, although they could have since calf is clicked from much larger pieces of hide. I'm no Florsheim expert.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got 3 pair of NOS Florsheims today, and the 2 calf pair also have the seam there.

I took a few steps on carpet in these shoes. I think they are shell. I will probably sell my used ones and keep these.

However, I am still soliciting opinions and expert advice.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads