• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling On Home Sewers for a Project

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Small manual one, are hardware stores open?

shoot me an email and I’ll give you an address, you can send those patterns there as well. The cloth seems a bit of a nebulous question though.

Im going to try to have some samples of masks done tomorrow, we were still getting suits out the door Friday, crazy.
I Got the rotary cutters for you last night
Inbox me with your address and I get them out to you

I have a guy I can get supplies, elastic etc. whatever. his place is closed but I can call him and he gets me whatever I want.
so if anyone needs anything such as these, you can let me know

right now Ive narrowed my focus to just Brooklyn / Queens /
I just bought 4 extra machines and had them delivered

iestynjones

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
One of my best friends and vendor is a factory owner in NYC. He posted this last night. He has Juki's ready and wants to help! Please read the message and contact me either on here or [email protected]
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 8.03.10 AM.png

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
One of my best friends and vendor is a factory owner in NYC. He posted this last night. He has Juki's ready and wants to help! Please read the message and contact me either on here or [email protected] View attachment 1360734
this is exactly the reason I stopped talking and continue to work behind the scenes. All I see is hype, talk and no real action.
Ill continue to do what I am doing, if people want my help they know where to find me. I have reached out and know others who have reached out and heard nothing back...…...…….and I know a slew of people who are willing to work and have reached out and heard nothing. lets see what this new week brings.........

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got this email from Hickey Freeman.

Capture.JPG
Capture 2.JPG

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Working on a smaller scale, my wife is making masks at home and giving them to friends and people familiar to us because we come in contact with them frequently. Just doing baby steps.
Kudos to Jeffery and others that can do more

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The masks shown above are surgical masks. Their purpose is to keep mucus and other expulsions from medical personnel from hitting their patients.
We have been making a different kind of mask. These are not certified as N95 masks but follow the same design principles. By request, we have created a downloadable pattern, materials list, and instructional video for anyone who wishes to make these at home for themselves and/or friends.

Face Mask Pattern and Materials List: Click Here to Download (PDF)

Instructional Video: Click Here to View

Mask2_ASK1_ASK2_300x211.jpg

Be Safe!

orfane

Reaction score
I saw from the banner that some of these masks will be going towards the hospitals in Rochester. I happen to work at one and thought this message about our masking policy might put things in an interesting light:

"Good afternoon,

Just a quick update with regard to universal masking. All of the employees at the medical center will be given a surgical mask by nursing. It is to be worn from the time you enter the hospital until you leave. You may remove the mask for eating, or if working alone in your office. Hospital leadership is asking you keep the same mask for one week unless it becomes visibly soiled or damaged. There will be a supply in resident clinic if needed after hours or weekends. Patients and their support person coming for an ambulatory visit does not need a mask unless they have symptoms or request one.

We have ziplock bags available to keep your mask in while not in use, however in the zoom meeting they suggested a paper bag would be better to keep the mask dry."

Obviously, reusing a mask for an entire week is not ideal, but that is the situation we face. I can only imagine how NYC hospitals are handling things.

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
I saw from the banner that some of these masks will be going towards the hospitals in Rochester. I happen to work at one and thought this message about our masking policy might put things in an interesting light:

"Good afternoon,

Just a quick update with regard to universal masking. All of the employees at the medical center will be given a surgical mask by nursing. It is to be worn from the time you enter the hospital until you leave. You may remove the mask for eating, or if working alone in your office. Hospital leadership is asking you keep the same mask for one week unless it becomes visibly soiled or damaged. There will be a supply in resident clinic if needed after hours or weekends. Patients and their support person coming for an ambulatory visit does not need a mask unless they have symptoms or request one.

We have ziplock bags available to keep your mask in while not in use, however in the zoom meeting they suggested a paper bag would be better to keep the mask dry."

Obviously, reusing a mask for an entire week is not ideal, but that is the situation we face. I can only imagine how NYC hospitals are handling things.
I'm trying to help a doctor at MSK in NYC. He was able to send me medical fabric, I made and shipped 3 samples to him today. If it’s fit approved we’ll do more. It’s a stop gap imo.

If you have this medical fabric, I’ll make you a few. I think it can be boiled each night to help clean it. DM me if you want.

2020_0331_sf2.jpg

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

"Good afternoon,

Let me get this correct?
they are giving you a single surgical mask to last for a whole week?
Is this the pleated papery masks or is it an N95 masks?

orfane

Reaction score
I'm trying to help a doctor at MSK in NYC. He was able to send me medical fabric, I made and shipped 3 samples to him today. If it’s fit approved we’ll do more. It’s a stop gap imo.

If you have this medical fabric, I’ll make you a few. I think it can be boiled each night to help clean it. DM me if you want.

View attachment 1364005 .

Deeply appreciated, but luckily I am not a medical worker, just a researcher working from home for a few weeks. My lab is all closed up so I just get to write papers now. Really appreciate the work you are putting towards those that need it though

Let me get this correct?
they are giving you a single surgical mask to last for a whole week?
Is this the pleated papery masks or is it an N95 masks?

I believe these are paper masks, but it wasn’t clarified in this email. It’s mostly for office workers/researchers coming into the building, I believe the medical workers have better supplies (at least I hope so) but I’m not entirely sure.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

View attachment 1364005 .

the Downstate medical center in Brooklyn is basically ground zero for coronavirus patents.
Later this week we will be donating 100 masks 50 face shields and about 30 to 40 comfort headbands we designed
Deeply appreciated, but luckily I am not a medical worker, just a researcher working from home for a few weeks. My lab is all closed up so I just get to write papers now. Really appreciate the work you are putting towards those that need it though

I believe these are paper masks, but it wasn’t clarified in this email. It’s mostly for office workers/researchers coming into the building, I believe the medical workers have better supplies (at least I hope so) but I’m not entirely sure.
you can email me at: [email protected]
Ill send you a set of masks tomorrow

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
the Downstate medical center in Brooklyn is basically ground zero for coronavirus patents.
Later this week we will be donating 100 masks 50 face shields and about 30 to 40 comfort headbands we designed
I appreciate what you're doing.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know that folks are making fabric masks. Is anyone making N95 mask covers?

Here is an example of one vendor making them for retail sale. They are currently on backorder.

These covers can be very useful in extending the life of an N95.

If anyone has any leads, I would be interested in purchasing a few.

Last edited:

iam.mike

Reaction score
Hey folks, Mike here from Ask Andy (I'm Andy's business partner).

Great discussion and efforts here around making medical-grade masks to donate to the medical community.

Outside of AAAC, I also own an apparel brand and we're looking to recycle new, unused t-shirts & undershirts to produce non-surgical masks for either non-medical use or use over N95 masks.

Do any of the folks here on this thread have any insight to where 100% cotton (organic or supima) masks could be used or donated? Or any specific design requirements there may be?

@bry2000 - we may be able help you with your request, but I don't want to use this post as any commercial promotion (we don't allow that on AAAC either).

Fok or Moderators, please feel to contact me if you have any questions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads