• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling off a wedding

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been involved in a wedding that was cancelled?

Is there anything special that you need to do besides offer support?

Is is tacky to still take the trip as a vacation If I paid for my flight and room at the resort already?

Background: My sister called yesterday saying that her fiancee called off their wedding thats in 4 months. Ouch.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why would it be tacky to take the trip? Offer support to you sis and help her move on.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Background: My sister called yesterday saying that her fiancee called off their wedding thats in 4 months. Ouch.

A wedding planner I know says it happens all the time (weddings called off). Good thing it ended now rather than being in an unhappy marriage that would almost certainly end in the near future.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take the trip, be with your sister, and treat her to something deluxe while you're there.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ With snark mode on, I almost said there's a thing called wedding cancellation gifts but philosophe answered with more class. Take the trip, have fun and be there for your sister.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I called off a wedding 19 days before the ceremony. Had to phone a few hundred people and tell them to free the date. Would have loved to have escaped to a resort. I went to a movie alone instead.

lefty

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I bet that makes for an interesting story lefty...

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Relationship had run its course but neither of us had the guts to act. As the day approached the realization that this would be a huge mistake became unbearable so I sat her down and had one of the hardest conversations of my life. Hell of a thing crushing someone you love.

Anyway, that was 20 years ago and we're both happier for it.

lefty

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Relationship had run its course but neither of us had the guts to act. As the day approached the realization that this would be a huge mistake became unbearable so I sat her down and had one of the hardest conversations of my life. Hell of a thing crushing someone you love.

Anyway, that was 20 years ago and we're both happier for it.

lefty
did he cry when you told him?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You were three months, I was about three weeks - I'd like to hear from the three hour guys.

lefty

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

You were three months, I was about three weeks - I'd like to hear from the three hour guys.

lefty
+1. I'd be curious to hear from someone who ran off from the altar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics