• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling in Sick

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When you say you're "sick in bed" do you mean you're ill?
Or, like, in bed with your first cousin, or something?

Omegablogger

Reaction score
An almost 100% cure for sick days is self-employment.

At work the rule is simple, of you are well enough to get to the doctors you are well enough to get to work.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omegablogger
An almost 100% cure for sick days is self-employment.

At work the rule is simple, of you are well enough to get to the doctors you are well enough to get to work.

cosign

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have called in sick three times in my entire career of 7+ years. Don't believe in it, especially if you are not sick. The biggest bush league move is call in sick after a holiday party, bad!

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've called in sick once in the five years I've been with this company. Your PTO time carries over from year to year, so you are never in danger of losing it. Also, since we had so many people calling in sick on Fridays and Mondays, we are no longer able to take PTO time for those two days if we call in sick.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
At my previous job at Saks my boss did comment during my review before I left that for being a spoiled rich kid I have the work ethic of a single mother of 3 and then the girl in the ofice who actually was a single mother was always flakey, late, calling in sick.

Well, she actually is a single mother. She might have some unexpected child-related stuff come up..

Originally Posted by Merckx
I've called in sick once in the five years I've been with this company. Your PTO time carries over from year to year, so you are never in danger of losing it. Also, since we had so many people calling in sick on Fridays and Mondays, we are no longer able to take PTO time for those two days if we call in sick.

Will they compensate you if you carry it over to retirement? I know a professor with about a year's worth and he won't get anything for them. Might as well use em if it works like that.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith
I have called in sick three times in my entire career of 7+ years. Don't believe in it, especially if you are not sick. The biggest bush league move is call in sick after a holiday party, bad!

Actually, I think it's worse to get drunk at the company party...I've heard some horror stories.

Jon.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Will they compensate you if you carry it over to retirement? I know a professor with about a year's worth and he won't get anything for them. Might as well use em if it works like that.

Yes, if I remember correctly they'll compensate you 80% of your accrued hours.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Our firm has earned time off (ETO), which is used for either sick days or vacation days.

Also, for consultants, time sheets are somewhat flexible. If you do a bunch more than 40 hours one week, it's considered OK (or at least, nobody has come out against it) to slide a few of them over to the next week. 80 accounted-for hours in 2 weeks doesn't tend to trigger ETO.

Morale does matter, of course. I remember that my first job was so crappy, with only 2 weeks' vacation, that people were taking "mental health days" all over the place. In contrast, I read an interview with AndrÃ
00a9.png
Rieu-- of PBS Schlock Specials fame-- who says that it's been years since anyone's claimed a sick day. Steady work, decent pay, and nice colleagues make escape much less necessary.

minus

Reaction score
"Sick days" around here are quite rampant. Morale is quite often low after the completion of projects. Well, it's low much of the time, but, that's what the ever so wonderful "Personal Leave" entry on our time sheets is for. Plus, "banking" hours during aforementioned projects helps too.

Personally, I loathe taking a "sick day" if I'm not actually sick, although I wish more people would take their sick days when they walk into the office trumpeting into a soggy hanky, and coughing up the Devil's own sputum. It's enough to make a man wear Kleenex boxes on his feet and piss in a jug.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me the difference between calling in sick when you arent and going into "work" and logging thousands of posts during the workday?

Serious question here.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Can you tell me the difference between calling in sick when you arent and going into "work" and logging thousands of posts during the workday?

Serious question here.

One is posting in the convenience of your office and the other is in the convenience of your home.
teacha.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I extend my vacations by using up sick days because I have a shitload of them. Everyone calls in sick when they aren't. I used to feel bad about it but now I do it all the time. In fact, I've done it twice this week already!

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take a sick day every now and again though sometimes I find it a bit emasculating to call the fem receptionist and explain that I am "to sick to come in." I think if I didn't see others taking sick days, I would be less likely to do it myself.

My pops prides himself on literally never staying home from work due to sickness in the past 30 yrs. When he had colon cancer and was prescribed chemo (every other week I believe) he'd start the day at 5am instead of 7 so he would have time to the treatment and then return directly to work for the remainder of the day. Onco thought he was insane.

dl

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my corporate life, I took maybe 3 sick days in 10 years, but I rarely get sick. And I'd rather not get your illness, so if you're sick, stay home. Even if you're not that sick, it's the age of the Blackberry and cell phone, so come in or don't come in, just be available. For jobs where your physical absence would actually cause a headache for your clients, boss or co-workers, you should be reasonable and adult about it, but if you're sick, you're sick. If you get 'sick' a lot, maybe you want a different job/career.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads