1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Calling Cards/Visiting Cards

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nelly, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I had a neighbor back in...oh, the mid 90s, I guess...who told me of a friend of his with calling cards that simply had his name, number, and "Reasonably Good In Bed" on them.

Dear GOD, are you serious??? That is one of the tackiest, most self-centered and childish things I've ever heard. Sounds like a scene from a 1980's John Hughs movie set in 1997. Aaaaahhhhhhhh!

2. Dashing1

Dashing1 Senior member

I am a big fan of the calling card and keep my oversized cards in an antique cigarette case for dispensing. I keep the case in the interior breast pocket of my jacket. The case is thin and fashioned to look like an envelope. When you apply slight pressure from a finger the case springs open.

This can be done one-handed and with one, smooth action, creating a sort of "beau geste" ("the beautiful gesture"). My suggestion is to not watch your hand and the case as you deliver the card--instead, maintain eye contact with the person you are addressing (much like the most debonair way to provide a lighter for a woman's cigarette). The move is suave & memorable & provides luxury experience for the recipient.

In the end, this beau geste is as much (or more) about the receiver than it is about the giver (you). Make every experience a rich one.

Here are some sample pics of the kind of case to which I refer...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-1940s-...QQcmdZViewItem

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

I thought calling cards were meant not to be given to the person with whom you wished to communicate, but, rather, a thrid party, for delivery to the intended party (butler, doorman, etc.).

Some what out of date and could be said to be pretentious but if genuinely not in business - say retired - then they would be acceptable.

You certainly would have given them to the Butler or Footman to be delivered (on a silver salver) to The Master or whoever you were calling upon BUT few of us have friends/acquaintances in that station these days.

If you remember that ladies have them in a larger size than gentlemen. Only ladies of dubious repute would have cards in the third/extra third used commonly today for trade purposes.

4. vc2000

vc2000 Senior member

Has anybody ever been to the Crane Outlet?

CRANE & CO., PAPER MAKERS OUTLET
    BERKSHIRE OUTLET VILLAGE, 50 WATER ST.
    LEE, MA 01238

I just wonder if it was worth a visit?

5. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Yeah, I have calling cards. I also carry spare dance cards.[​IMG]

Seriously, unless you travel in circles which use calling cards (and I don't know of such circles today), I would not use them. Typically, they were handed to the butler or footman who would announce your arrival. Generally, they are the province of stage productions of the "The Heiress" and 1920 drawing room comedies by Noel Coward.

I guess that there are still a few extant cells of "the ladies who lunch" bunch who buy calling cards. It may pay to have calling cards when visiting Mrs. Astor or Mrs. Kempner if you are one of that social circle. But to hand-out to chicks in bars? I don't think so.

On a non-related note, I think that engraved personal note paper or note cards are most useful and necessary for thank-yous, gift enclosures, loaning a book, etc. I have a large card with only my name centered at the top for thank notes, etc. I also have monarch stationery for longer notes and letters.

6. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Anyone have calling cards made up with their screen name?

"FilmNoirBuff."

7. Darveesh

Darveesh Member

Gentlemen,

It appears that traditionally only the person's name would appear on the
    calling card. However, in your collective opinion, is it a solecism to include
    one's telephone number and/or email address?
    From reading the posts I realize that quite a few people include their
    contact info on the card - I just wanted to get an idea of what proper
    etiquette is in this regard.

Also, what is an appropriate size for a man's calling card?

Many thanks,

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Dear GOD, are you serious??? That is one of the tackiest, most self-centered and childish things I've ever heard. Sounds like a scene from a 1980's John Hughs movie set in 1997. Aaaaahhhhhhhh!

Worse than that, imho. In addition to being tacky, self-centered, and childish, this hypothetical acquaintance is either foolish or incapacitatingly honest. I mean, most people are going to assume a certain tendency to overstate one's sexual prowess, no? So if you're going to have cards with something so incredibly obnoxious and stupid printed on it, what's with the "reasonably good"? For the small percentage of potential partners out there who might find smarmy arrogance attractive, it would make more sense to be consistent and characterize yourself as more than "reasonably good". Why not have the card say "my dick really isn't all that small?"

9. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Worse than that, imho. In addition to being tacky, self-centered, and childish, this hypothetical acquaintance is either foolish or incapacitatingly honest. I mean, most people are going to assume a certain tendency to overstate one's sexual prowess, no? So if you're going to have cards with something so incredibly obnoxious and stupid printed on it, what's with the "reasonably good"? For the small percentage of potential partners out there who might find smarmy arrogance attractive, it would make more sense to be consistent and characterize yourself as more than "reasonably good". Why not have the card say "my dick really isn't all that small?"

Years ago, I saw this small printshop, and they have these pre-printed ones and one of them says "Bikini Inspector" under your name.

10. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Jesus, the cards were a joke I'm sure. An ice-breaker maybe? Hell, I don't even know if they really existed--I took my neighbor's (Hugh for what it's worth) word for it.

And "incapacitatingly honest"? How about jokingly modest?

This thread is a perfect example of people losing sight of reality. Calling cards are an out-moded means of announcing oneself. I have no idea if anyone still actually uses them in any stratum of society. But the mere fact that we are having a debate about them and what the proper etiquette may be for using them shows that it would be nothing short of an affectation for any of us to have them.

Use a damn business card or a cocktail napkin.

b

11. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yeah - sounded like humor to me too

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

J

Use a damn business card or a cocktail napkin.

b

Pish-posh. I am my own man apart from my work. And he isn't into napkins.

Though I agree with the forgoing about Hugh. That's hilarious, and if he can rock it, well then.

Regards,
    Huntsman