• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling Brits: what's Jack Wills like?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was reading a blog about solicitors vs. barristers, and found this quote:

My law school was a mix of solicitors in training for their City firms, and those of us on the bar course aspiring to be self-employed. The solicitors went around in close-bunched groups, clutching the Companies Act, dressed as if they were contractually obliged to shop at Jack Wills. The would-be barristers, papers and polystyrene coffee cups in hand, looking far less polished. Beneath the superficial differences lay the deeper divide between those who had joined large corporations, and those who had done everything they could to avoid ever having a boss. My friends training to be solicitors would fairly agree that the more passionate advocates were to be found on our course, perhaps because we felt the greater need to fight our own corners.
Some backstory or comparison to other retailers would be great. And are they mentioned on SW&D? I've never heard of them on MC or AAAC.

Mountains

Reaction score
Jack Wills is the British version of Abercrombie, more or less. Popular amongst students.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's very overpriced, in relative terms it is about double A&F. A hoodie is about $125. It's also based very much on the "I'm too rich to care how I look" philosophy; the idea is to wear tattered jeans with a bright shirt and an English boater or panama hat and tie that was made in 1950. Here's a link to this season's "Get The Look" page. Clicky!

PaulSLH

Reaction score
I'd say it started as the British Abercrombie, but is aspiring towards the British RL Rugby/Polo, especially with the new(er) brand from the same people at www.aubinandwills.com. Twice as expensive as Abercrombie, but Abercrombie itself is twice as expensive in the UK too. Lots of public school kids in the tracksuits/hoodies/shirts, but recently some of the less branded stuff has been getting a bit better, and I've bought a few things on sale that are actually quite decent quality, very good slim fit, and don't 'look' like Jack Wills, which I think is part of the reason they launched Aubin & Wills, to try and escape the Abercrombie type stigma that Jack Wills has in Britain. So basically, expensive, too much branding, but actually relatively good quality, and the designs are improving slowly, if you get the right things.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posts above covered it. Wearers would be similar to those who wear Aercrombie in the US.

K

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The outside of the store in my town looks nice, but when you go in, the clothes are crap. I agree about the Abercrombie-like comment.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a realy nice aran sweater from aubin and wills this weekend - really good quality and a classic piece with no branding. I got it slightly less than half price and thought it was just about worth it at that price. I'd not heard of the brand before, checked SF and google when I got home and was disappointed to find the AF comparison. It seems I fall into the exact marketing demographic that AW was set up to target which makes me feel cheap
frown.gif
Despite that I still love the jumper.. On a side note I was stopped randomly by a girl who'd seen my bag and wanted to know where the shop was, that's never happened to me before.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually Aubin and Wills is better than Jack Wills. Although the prices and styles are the same, JW trades off the name. At my uni you will be laughed at if you walk around in Tracksuit bottoms from anyone other than JW, at least Aubin and Wills is the same style, but for people with enough self respect not to tout the fact they can afford it.

07wbb07

Reaction score
I agree with the above. A good few years ago, Wills was not massively stylish and was geared to a sloanier 30 something crowd...then over the last 2 or 3 years has rebranded very well and gone to a slightly younger crowd but still the same grouping...public school [ie private school in US parlance] kids who hanker after a A+F feel but with a bit more of a Brit rough edge.

I also agree - some of their less branded items are great - I bought a fantastic jacket in deepblue wool with ivory piping that was lovely, although still th ebest part of about £400 so a fairly high price point for this brand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads