• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all STYLE GURU'S

James Bluesky

Reaction score
I am putting together an ebook. A style guide for men.

My background is Graphic design, branding, packaging and marketing, and I have recently learnt a lot about internet marketing. I am very interested in mens style also and want to combine my marketing expertise to make a profitable and enjoyable venture.

I am looking for someone to work with that is passionate about mens style, knows a lot about the subject, or is willing to research; to put together content for an ebook.

Ideas for the ebook so far include a brand directory, history of certain items of clothing, a guide to colour, A guide to the options available and what the certain options might say about you. I want to provide the reader with enough information to make the correct style decisions for them, no matter what the occassion.

If you dont want to post your interest on this forum you can contact me at: [email protected]

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to burst your bubble, but doesn't this already exist? Dress for Success by John T. Molloy is an excellent, albeit dated, book.

What do you want to offer that doesn't exist yet?

James Bluesky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kas
Not to burst your bubble, but doesn't this already exist? Dress for Success by John T. Molloy is an excellent, albeit dated, book. What do you want to offer that doesn't exist yet?
I've many of these other books also. You described part of the problem that a lot the style books out there are dated. They often only cater for the american market. I want to create information that is more accessible and appeals to the international market, with a good brand directory that will be updated. I think times have moved on since the last good books about style, a lot of people want access to style advice without having to trawl through sites like this one, that takes time! You could just read GQ or simular but of course they are often paid to recommend brands. My vision for this book is unbiassed, practical, accessible guidelines for bringing out the best style for the individual reader.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feel free to PM me if you like. I have lots of other commitments right now, but would be interested in participating in your project. I am probably one of few on this board who could speak to a broad range of styles.

A major difficulty I see immediately are that all presciptive "style" books become dated extremely quickly unless they either adhere to a very conservative philosophy or give very general advice. In the first case, the strict guidelines can seem very stifling. In the second, the advice can easily be so broad as to be uninteresting and useless. I am interested in seeing how you propose to sidestep or overcome these problems.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I am probably one of few on this board who could speak to a broad range of styles.
Quoted for posterity
revolve.gif
tounge.gif

James Bluesky

Reaction score
Quickly thinking about titles for the website and the ebook:

Your best style.
Find your style.
Your complete guide to style.

James Bluesky

Reaction score
Feel free to PM me if you like. I have lots of other commitments right now, but would be interested in participating in your project. I am probably one of few on this board who could speak to a broad range of styles. A major difficulty I see immediately are that all presciptive "style" books become dated extremely quickly unless they either adhere to a very conservative philosophy or give very general advice. In the first case, the strict guidelines can seem very stifling. In the second, the advice can easily be so broad as to be uninteresting and useless. I am interested in seeing how you propose to sidestep or overcome these problems.
I agree this is a tricky problem but not impossible to solve. I think a mix of the conservative guides refreshed and finding a way of making the broad information interesting and useful. I will brainstorm ideas to solve this problem with whomever I decide to work with on this project.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Quoted for posterity
revolve.gif
tounge.gif

Right
laugh.gif

I wish that that there was more crossover between the MC and the SW&D subfora. I was a proponent for the creation of the Streetwear forum, but it seems like ever since the MC forum was split, there have been two parallel communities that rarely interact.

I know that you are there sometimes, as are Drizzt and A.Harris, and Get Smart posts in both fora, but I'd it'd be really nice to hear Aportnoy discuss NDC shoes, or a streetwear guy talk about the stylistic differences and similarities between Acne Jeans' New Aktie 2 jacket (a one button, notch lapel model with a mid-high gorge, constructed shoulders, high armholes, slightly flaired skirt and deep side vents) and the archetypal Huntsman jacket. Unfortunately, this neither of these discussions are likely to take place.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just yanking your chain
smile.gif

James Bluesky

Reaction score
Right
laugh.gif
I wish that that there was more crossover between the MC and the SW&D subfora. I was a proponent for the creation of the Streetwear forum, but it seems like ever since the MC forum was split, there have been two parallel communities that rarely interact. I know that you are there sometimes, as are Drizzt and A.Harris, and Get Smart posts in both fora, but I'd it'd be really nice to hear Aportnoy discuss NDC shoes, or a streetwear guy talk about the stylistic differences and similarities between Acne Jeans' New Aktie 2 jacket (a one button, notch lapel model with a mid-high gorge, constructed shoulders, high armholes, slightly flaired skirt and deep side vents) and the archetypal Huntsman jacket. Unfortunately, this neither of these discussions are likely to take place.

I'm a huge fan of taylored traditional clothing, I'd also like to see a style guide that includes streetwear. A guide that takes it seriously. In my eyes it is rarely given importance.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bluesky
...I'd also like to see a style guide that includes streetwear. A guide that takes it seriously. In my eyes it is rarely given importance.

This is very true. I lurk on the SW&D sub-forum and it's a mystery to me because the styles I see are so diverse.

LA Guy may be one of the few who could begin to classify/codify SW. Of course, SW may change so fast that it's impossible to codify and perhaps this is a good thing.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the last couple of months I've been working on a pretty comprehensive guide to buying suits. My goal is to be concise while only touching on history and some of the other pedantic details while focusing on construction and choosing the right suit for each individual.

Sooo...I might be interesting in contributing. May I ask if this will be a commercial endeavor?

James Bluesky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
For the last couple of months I've been working on a pretty comprehensive guide to buying suits. My goal is to be concise while only touching on history and some of the other pedantic details while focusing on construction and choosing the right suit for each individual. Sooo...I might be interesting in contributing. May I ask if this will be a commercial endeavor?
Your contribution would be very welcome. Yes this is a commercial endeavor, it will also be produced out of a passion for the subject.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
James Bluesky- I have a book called: " Gentleman's Guide to Grooming and Style" written by Bernhard Roetzel. The emphasis is on British and Italian style. It also includes American style although limited. I think Alan Flusser's "Dressing the Man" is marketed more for the American male.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads