• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all Ralph Lauren Experts!

sidewinder227

Reaction score
I've purchased an RLBL blazer on the auction site and a couple of things look off. For one the inside tag is written horizontally instead of vertically (see attached) and I've never seen that on an RLBL blazer before. Second the "Ralph Lauren" tag is centered on the back of the jacket lining rather than at the left inside pocket. Third, some of the tags are in Chinese and the size tag says 40R and under it 175/96A which I know is an Asian size. The quality, fit, fabric, and details (buttons etc.) look on par with all of my other RLBL blazers/jackets but the tags are throwing me off.

Is there a possibility that this is real but made/marketed for the Asian market? Is it outright fake? Seems odd to fake a brand that's been discontinued for years now and doesn't even command that much of a premium, and also to create a fake that's of decent quality. Also this seller had 99+ percent feedback, has been a member for 10 years, and any negative comments (2 out of 320) revolve around logistics/order and not authenticity of the item for sale.

I am still eligible to make a return and might do it just for peace of mind but any help is much appreciated. I'm sure a lot of you guys know more about the labeling conventions for RL than I do. Thanks!

IMG_5753.jpg

IMG_5754.jpg

IMG_5755.jpg

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I don’t know. But I’ve never seen those tags before in RLBL.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, who knows with RL continuing to make stuff in about 1000 different Chinese factories? I just picked up an RLPL Purple Label MTM tux from the RL store in Palm Beach, so I know it's real -- it just so happens the MTM tux that didn't fit it's original purchaser fit me. I got it for a song. Anyhow, the damn thing is made in China. Also, it lacks any RLPL labeling anywhere (custom option: no labels I guess?).

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fake

Amateurish one as well.

Quesjac

Reaction score
Eh, who knows with RL continuing to make stuff in about 1000 different Chinese factories? I just picked up an RLPL Purple Label MTM tux from the RL store in Palm Beach, so I know it's real -- it just so happens the MTM tux that didn't fit it's original purchaser fit me. I got it for a song. Anyhow, the damn thing is made in China. Also, it lacks any RLPL labeling anywhere (custom option: no labels I guess?).
something sounds off about this. Who sold it to you?

sidewinder227

Reaction score
something sounds off about this. Who sold it to you?
browse_the_rack on eBay

Like I said great feedback and they've been a store on there for almost 10 years. She is working with me on this issue and being responsive so far, guarantees it's authentic but I worry that even she may have been duped.

Quesjac

Reaction score
browse_the_rack on eBay

Like I said great feedback and they've been a store on there for almost 10 years. She is working with me on this issue and being responsive so far, guarantees it's authentic but I worry that even she may have been duped.
No, sorry, I was asking the other guy, about his Ralph Lauren suit with no tags but also apparently made in China. Yours looks unquestionably fake and I'd request a refund.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea if it is real or fake, but the main tag (black) is written in Japanese and gives the Ralph Lauren address in Nagata-cho. The secondary tag (white) is written in Korean, which is quite common to see on brand apparel here.

Sometimes on fake goods the labels will contain mistakes or the characters will be slightly “off” as if written by someone who doesn’t understand the language. However, this jacket’s Japanese tag at least is spot on.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suspect - looks nothing like the RLBL I have, by Caruso (and maybe Cantarelli IFIRK)....

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go to the eBay store and see all the pics, it does look like an RLBL jacket they had a few years back.

Is it fully canvassed? If so, then it’s probably real.

MrUsedThreads

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've purchased an RLBL blazer on the auction site and a couple of things look off. For one the inside tag is written horizontally instead of vertically (see attached) and I've never seen that on an RLBL blazer before. Second the "Ralph Lauren" tag is centered on the back of the jacket lining rather than at the left inside pocket. Third, some of the tags are in Chinese and the size tag says 40R and under it 175/96A which I know is an Asian size. The quality, fit, fabric, and details (buttons etc.) look on par with all of my other RLBL blazers/jackets but the tags are throwing me off.

Is there a possibility that this is real but made/marketed for the Asian market? Is it outright fake? Seems odd to fake a brand that's been discontinued for years now and doesn't even command that much of a premium, and also to create a fake that's of decent quality. Also this seller had 99+ percent feedback, has been a member for 10 years, and any negative comments (2 out of 320) revolve around logistics/order and not authenticity of the item for sale.

I am still eligible to make a return and might do it just for peace of mind but any help is much appreciated. I'm sure a lot of you guys know more about the labeling conventions for RL than I do. Thanks!

View attachment 977961

View attachment 977962

View attachment 977963
1ikfqd.jpg

Thats about as fake as fake gets, brother. The font alone is questionable however as @Oshare said the actual content on the tags check out. But, then again, anything fugazzi thats good could easily replicate all that information. I can only go off of what I've seen personally and I've never an RLBL tag quite like that before, sorry to say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads